Perentis venomous?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bacteria is nothing like that, bacteria is grown from rotten meat or similar and doesn't follow a set rule if that makes sense which is why bacteria has no antibacteria.

ummm, they are called antibiotics...

Bacteria don't "grow from" rotten meat, they are organisms which multiply and feed under certain conditions.

I recall a doco that brought this up regarding venomous lizards, it comes back to the venom and what it is effect on different animals which determins the classification of being venomous. A bit like the daddy long leg spider one of the most venomous spiders but harmless to man due to its fang length being so small it cannot bite into a human

Thats an old wives tale, Pholcus phalangioides are harmless regardless of fang length.

Jordan

Fry's research has shown that proteins in the salivia of varanids, and things like Bearded Dragons are actually venoms. They don't have the same apparatus as the Helodermids (Heloderma suspectum and H. horridium) and nor do they have they toxicity of those species. But they are venomous by definition.

Cheers,
Scott

.... and to add to what Scotty said about Fry's research, their bite is relatively free of Bacteria.

The myth that Komodo dragons used toxic bacteria to subdue their victims was published as fact many years ago and never questioned or properly tested.

If you look into the mouths of most (healthy) reptiles they look clean! I find that bites from non venomous pythons never get infected and heal quickly. Komodo dragons are now assumed to to produce lots of saliva to keep their mouths clean and lubricate swallowing.

Was anyone else irritated at how the show promoted goannas as big scary animals?

Outback Wildlife Rescue has to be the crappest wildlife show yet!

umm... M.Punja? lol JessB.

any links or reports on 'proteins' over 'bacteria' anybody?

Was anyone else irritated at how the show promoted goannas as big scary animals?

Outback Wildlife Rescue has to be the crappest wildlife show yet!

Actually I think they would be irresponsible to suggest that large goannas should not be treated with respect. They have particularly sharp claws and teeth and know how to use them. Many experienced herpers would rate them as more dangerous than many of our venomous snakes.

Tell that to poison Ivy :D

Lol yea, sort of put my foot in it with that. That's why I corrected myself with the wiki link. I knew it was something along them lines, just got it a little mistaken :p:lol:

Actually I think they would be irresponsible to suggest that large goannas should not be treated with respect. They have particularly sharp claws and teeth and know how to use them. Many experienced herpers would rate them as more dangerous than many of our venomous snakes.

Yes but there was no mention of leave them alone and they'll leave you alone.

LMAO it something about that word VENOMOUS that seems to put the heeby jeebys in people .....:)

Dr Frys work is ground-breaking research that can't be ignored. There are many ignorant people out there who for some reason think they are more qualified than Fry, and can somehow justify refuting the extensive and expensive research he has undertaken! Especially into a field he is so passionate about!

dr frys work is ground-breaking research that can't be ignored. There are many ignorant people out there who for some reason think they are more qualified than fry, and can somehow justify refuting the extensive and expensive research he has undertaken! Especially into a field he is so passionate about!

ditto

it's the bacteria in the saliva, all bites from any animal can cause infection... the same with the stingray... thier barb is not poisonous/ venomous, is the types of bacteria that is in the mucus that coats the barb that causes the problem, same with catfish and other barbed fishes. with monitors and lizards it's the bacteria in the mouth that festers from carien.. i've had a bite from a monitor and it took months to heal. it's the secondary infections and primary that are of concern. not that they are venomous. there is only 2 (don't quote me on it) lizards that actually are venomous and we have none in oz.

it's the bacteria in the saliva, all bites from any animal can cause infection... the same with the stingray... thier barb is not poisonous/ venomous, is the types of bacteria that is in the mucus that coats the barb that causes the problem, same with catfish and other barbed fishes. with monitors and lizards it's the bacteria in the mouth that festers from carien.. i've had a bite from a monitor and it took months to heal. it's the secondary infections and primary that are of concern. not that they are venomous. there is only 2 (don't quote me on it) lizards that actually are venomous and we have none in oz.

Nup you are wrong

this could be a long thread lol... so many people with so many different opinions....
sometimes it's best to research yourself than go on a thread cos sometimes you acheive what you started with.... confusion.... like now i'm goin to revise what i've learnt about this issue........

this could be a long thread lol... so many people with so many different opinions....
sometimes it's best to research yourself than go on a thread cos sometimes you acheive what you started with.... confusion.... like now i'm goin to revise what i've learnt about this issue........

I think a bit of revision would do you good :). And with stingrays it is the mucous itself not any bacteria that causes the infections etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back