Perentis venomous?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes they are venomous, go to www.venomdoc.com to read more. Even though they are venomous the main danger is the actual phisical damage they can do.

Its only fairly recently that this was found out, so many still are sticking with their old books with incorrect info.

Cris whereabouts on the site is the info on perenti venom as I cant seem to find it? Thanks

theres a huge toss up and confusion between the actual definition of venom and poison, in these circumstances..

technically bacteria in ones saliva is acting as a venom, as it aids decomposition and reactions on the prey. it also is defined as a poison in the same way. its a throw up and doesnt have an actual yes/no answer PURELY because it the bacteria does not come from venom glands.

hence why the gila monster is venomous, and the Komodo is poisonous (through bacteria, not venom glands)

.... i think. LOL

if it was a poison then it shouldn't have any effect unless swallowed. Poisons aren't supposed to have any effect to blood or skin.

i-was-always-under-the-impression-it-was-the-bacteria-too-not-a-venom

m.punja,herbicides-such-as-TORDON-or-GRAZON-are-listed-as-poisons-which-both-can-be-absorbed-through-the-skin

I couldnt find it either. This monitor has been studied for decades and to be honest with you i believe this would have been picked up prior to recently. I think that it may have been mis interprated for its mouths hi bacteria count which they have refered to as venemous. I dont buy it.

i thought bacteria was grown from rot and mold, fungus and all sorts of other nasties. Venom follows a signiture in a sense which is why there are antivenoms to combat the effects of that venom. It works the same every time, depending on the dose depends on the serverity. Bacteria is nothing like that, bacteria is grown from rotten meat or similar and doesn't follow a set rule if that makes sense which is why bacteria has no antibacteria.

Aparantly what makes white tips so dangerous and their bites effects so different is the bacteria that grows on their fangs from their walk abouts. Since they aren't a web building and living spiders and are instead always cruising around their fangs drag along on all sorts of stuff and collect all sorts of different stuff, this is why they can't treat it with a as easily as other spider bites because they don't have a set anit-bacteria to reverse the effects.

I hope that makes some sense. This is how I understand the difference between venom and bacteria, please correct me if i am wrong.

i-was-always-under-the-impression-it-was-the-bacteria-too-not-a-venom

m.punja,herbicides-such-as-TORDON-or-GRAZON-are-listed-as-poisons-which-both-can-be-absorbed-through-the-skin

I thought about that after I posted. Good point. Maybe poision doesnt effect the blood then? Its meant to be something like that

I couldnt find it either. This monitor has been studied for decades and to be honest with you i believe this would have been picked up prior to recently. I think that it may have been mis interprated for its mouths hi bacteria count which they have refered to as venemous. I dont buy it.

http://www.venomdoc.com/downloads/2005_BGF_Nature_squamate_venom.pdf

its a good read.... this particular document references V.varius, V.scalaris and V.komodoensis.....

EDIT: slacker, beat me to it! lol

also, P.barbata are refered to in this paper....

perentis venom

I recall a doco that brought this up regarding venomous lizards, it comes back to the venom and what it is effect on different animals which determins the classification of being venomous. A bit like the daddy long leg spider one of the most venomous spiders but harmless to man due to its fang length being so small it cannot bite into a human

The link i just posted above actually said the venom is recognised the same as rattle snake venom but in very small doses enough to harm other animals not so much humans.

Wow that is very interesting, I guess you really do learn something new every day, and would never have thought that monitors were deemed venomous. Its just much weaker doses of venom compared to elapids and the known venomous lizards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back