Pet Rats

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
mice are gross, i bred them for feeder, but my rats are pets and pets only

im getting some rats soon from a freind who breeds them for his snakes but his adults are like pets got heaps of colour combos to choose from cant wait my fav is the light caramel and white dont know how i will go feeding the babys i breed to my snakes thats my intetention im a sucker for any animal

Just consider your neighbours. I discovered yesterday that my mice's wheels were keeping my neighbour's son awake. His bedroom is separate to the house and said he laid awake trying to work out what the squeaking noise was he could hear. Oopsie - you really need to be as quiet as a mouse :lol:

Rats are good pests and are quite intelegent but if they are to end up snake food probably not a good idea to get too attached...:|

Rats are good pests ...:|
:lol: really?

Well rats are good pets as well. They can be pests, their nature is quite responsive to us so not boring like a mouse can be.

Get attached? Would you really feed your pet to snake?

I love my rats but will be downsizing to keep costs down..... I have 1 male, 9 female 4 of which have bubs. I agree they are soooo intelligent, none of mine with bubs have bitten me, PO grabs onto my finger with her teeth but never hard but that is fairconsidering she only had 12 bubs yesterday afternoon....

nope most are sold already and the others will stay with me until they find nice family homes

I have pet rats and mice, although their babies get fed to snakes :p Sometimes we get ones which are just too sweet to kill :p If anyone in Melbourne wants a really lovely mouse or rat let me know :lol:

Saz: The 'barebacked hoodeds' or whatever the rat fnaciers call them aren't entirely random. The hooded/Berkshire/self thing is Mendelian, but other genes can affect the trait. A Berkshire with the 'extra white' genes will have larger belly patches and the hooded version will have extra white/less pattern. It's a gene interaction situation.

We have rex rats, they're gross! We tried growing up double rex rats out of curiosity, and now that they're inside snakes we don't feel the need to repeat it :lol: My partner wants to get rid of all the rex rats, but I want to keep a few, just for the sake of variety. We have many different colours, I can't even remember the names of all of them. Silverfawn, topaz, champage, dove, black, agouti and others I think. It's pretty easy to get attached to the rats, and the mice are lots of fun too :) Good fun playing with the genetics as well :)

We had some mice that my keeper called waltzing mice. They spent their day staggering around in circles. It was heretable but did nothing extra for the snakes so we dont have them anymore. If only I'd thought of you Sadji it could have been another project.

Im getting rid of all my mice if anyone is interested??? 10+ males 14+ females some possible preggas and 23 bubs....
I also have some rats that will be ready in 4 weeks or so give or take

But I agree rats are so cute & very hard to part with... I currently have 4 litters with 1 on the way and the very first litter born are like little cheerios but black, totally gorgeous

mm i couldnt ever have a per rodent, i have too many in the freezer

That's good to know, thanks for that Sdaji.

I love my little rexies! They are just too cute. The doubles go through a rather disturbing bald stage but grow their fur back lovely and plush. I think tt looks really nice in the ticked varieties, agouti, cinnamon, argente.

I love my longcoat rex mice too, they are my favourites!

Rex mousey babies
rexbubbas.jpg

Just thought I'd add this as its so cute - feeder females growing up chinchilla/himilayan litters - they are really good Mums
Dsc_0421.jpg

This poor gal got mugged for milk whilst she was having her breakfast. Bless her!
Dsc_0417-2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back