Pet Spiders?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I love watching them feed. It's super cool! what substrate would you keep a huntsman on? You seem to know your stuff about spiders. Such a cool hobby!
Oh and where do I find huntsmen - make that any cool spider - in melbourne? I never see 'em. only daddy longlegs :rolleyes:
And I'm guessing ones I find here in Vic wont need any heating.

No idea where to find them in Vic!!! I'm in Sa and my grand pa owns a farm so I find all mine out in his bushlands and the red backs in the shed :D I guess if you go to an are with scrub or if you look in your back yard under heavy objects (bricks, rocks, branches,etc) and there would be quite a few in your shed! We have a ton of spiders in our shed :D They are pretty easy to find if you look in the right spots ;)

383617_2674261450635_1159473899_n[1].jpgyou could have come an got this big ugly bugger, he invited himself to a party i had a few months ago. i hate spiders they give me the heby jebies, that is not my hand holding the can.

And out of interest, what do/did you keep redbacks in? as Im guessing you wouldnt want to get to close to one of them.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks so much sharkyy! appreciate all the help!

No problem ;) Always happy to help!!!

I kept my red backs in a large jar. I was about 40-ishcm tall and had a diameter of 20-ishcm. I only kept one in there though because females eat the males and males kill each other. I had about 5 lined up at one point! I just love their colouring and they are amazing creatures! I fed them one cricket every 2-3 days.

thats amazing sharkyy! thanks again so much!
Scared of a wittle itty bitty spider are we big bang! Nahh jokes. he's a very nice big fella! you didn't kill him did you?...

- - - Updated - - -

We go to a farm every year so I will have a look under all the old rubble etc that's there and the sheds are a complete mess so it shouldn't be hard. We actually had a decent sized spider on a piece of wrought iron that was protecting an egg sac. I never thought to take a photo of her and now she's gone. her egg sac is still there however. I will get a pic up soon.

Was fishing off Broughton island in middle of winter catching snapper at night with 2 big tough mates
Great snapper weather
Rain and COLD
Huntsmen must have been wintering over in the boat
Godalmighty screams and they both went over over the side
Rather freeze than face a spider

ditto sharkyy.
lol
That's a great story and I bet you never let them live that one down. :D
I think I will get a/some delena cancerides and a/some golden orb weaver! i love them all though!

Great choice ;) Now you just have to find some :D

where i got out cutting firewood there are plenty of spiders, i have stopped cutting bull oak trees as they are infested with bloody huge spiders as the bark is so loose they can get under it easy, i was cutting one log up one day and a couple small one come out, then next one more small ones all up probably 20-30 50cent sized ones then i cut one last piece and the mother of all huntsmans came out, discusting bloody looking thing........me, spiders and the 20 inch chainsaw bar are not a good combination to have in the same spot. I also used to shoot rabbits for a living and i'm sure the huntsman used to see me coming and they would all race to the nearest gate that i would have to open and sit there and wait for me, it would scare the **** out of me when i would lean over to open the gate and there was a massive spider sitting on the post or latch or one would run up my arm as i was closing the gate that i didnt see......

Great choice ;) Now you just have to find some :D
Yeah I have to find some now. I used to have a golden orb spider on a huge web on my balcony but that was in a rental house so we moved and now I just see daddy long legs and the little house spiders. I'll just ask my relatives that live close by not to kill any spiders but to hand 'em over!

What did your dad use to keep golden orbs in if you don't mind me asking?

- - - Updated - - -

where i got out cutting firewood there are plenty of spiders, i have stopped cutting bull oak trees as they are infested with bloody huge spiders as the bark is so loose they can get under it easy, i was cutting one log up one day and a couple small one come out, then next one more small ones all up probably 20-30 50cent sized ones then i cut one last piece and the mother of all huntsmans came out, discusting bloody looking thing........me, spiders and the 20 inch chainsaw bar are not a good combination to have in the same spot. I also used to shoot rabbits for a living and i'm sure the huntsman used to see me coming and they would all race to the nearest gate that i would have to open and sit there and wait for me, it would scare the **** out of me when i would lean over to open the gate and there was a massive spider sitting on the post or latch or one would run up my arm as i was closing the gate that i didnt see......

They just like you big bang. and um in your avatar, what are the three big black things?

they are pigs mate, 3 pigs, and a dog on the right......oh and my brother and me, i am the one on the left

Well I'd keep a huntsman on either barkchips, soil (no fertaliser), newspaper, paper towel, aspen shavings or dirt covered with some dead leaves(dried out leaves). If you want to be able to view him, I wouldn't reccomend the leaves because most likely he'll be hiding under them all day!

i keep all my T's on a 50:50 mix of coir peat and spagnam moss. And a red heat lamp at one end... some species prefer to dig burrows so my substrate is 80mm deep.

Yeah I have to find some now. I used to have a golden orb spider on a huge web on my balcony but that was in a rental house so we moved and now I just see daddy long legs and the little house spiders. I'll just ask my relatives that live close by not to kill any spiders but to hand 'em over!

What did your dad use to keep golden orbs in if you don't mind me asking?

He kept about 5 of them in an aquarium that was 1.15x0.6x2m (lxwxh)....but I don't think you'll have that many? You could probably keep one in a 30x30x50cm tank or terrarium (lxbxh). There are some really neat ones in Cheap as Chips right now for only $40. That's what I keep my baby jungle and bredli in :p
Anyway, Just make sure you have branches in there for them to spin their webs on and so they can climb as well!!!

- - - Updated - - -

lol wouldnt like to be sitting on ferals like that if they werent!!!!

hahahahhahaha, I can imagine that...would be scary for you but I would be laughing my head off from a safe distance ;)

Hahaha sure would be pretty funny. ^^^
Thanks very much sharkyy! i would probably only be keeping a few at max.
Did your Dad have males and females or just females?

I'm actually not sure...I think he kept just females because there were never any babies or egg sacks...

I'm actually not sure...I think he kept just females because there were never any babies or egg sacks...

Yeah. Females are prettier anyway.
So did he just take the females from webs? or were they purchased?
I'm so jealous of you by the way! And thanks for the help, it's been fantastic!

Yeah, wild caught from the bush :D I've never seen any for sale, ahahahaha. Females are definitley prettier than males!!!

And your welcome! You are like the only girl my age who actually likes spiders! Everyone else screams at the mention of them :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back