Petition

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MrBredli

Dear Fellow Herpers,

I have just read and signed the online petition:

"Rattlesnake Roundup Call To Action"

hosted on the web by PetitionOnline.com, the free online petition
service, at:

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/roundups/

I personally agree with what this petition says, and I think you might
agree, too. If you can spare a moment, please take a look, and consider
signing yourself.

Best wishes,

Me

Signed. From what Ive read, burrowing tortises suffer from this event aswell, with habitable burrows poisoned with kero to flush rattlers and/or dug up!
I hope its abolished! bloody cowboys!

Just to throw a spanner in the works here, if the rattlers were killed quickly and humanely so they didn't suffer would people still have a problem with them being hunted for "sport"? It seems people have no issue with killing other animals for sport but when it comes to our beloved herps it's a different kettle of fish...:?

OuZo said:
Just to throw a spanner in the works here, if the rattlers were killed quickly and humanely so they didn't suffer would people still have a problem with them being hunted for "sport"? It seems people have no issue with killing other animals for sport but when it comes to our beloved herps it's a different kettle of fish...:?

I would.

C'mon folks there is only 400 odd sigs so far.

Signed, all APS members should read this and if they agree, please sign the petition.

OuZo said:

I agree, but you yourself used the term 'beloved' to describe herps, so of course we see them differently. We're not 'enthusiasts of animals equally in general' we're herp enthusiasts. If we weren't specific in our 'battles' we'd just be like PETA..and be crazy and obsessive...in a bad way.
:wink:

signed.

on the topic about whether we are upset that the herps are getting hunted but don't care about the other animals, i personally do not approve of any hunting or killing of animals. however if they go around shooting feral pigs/foxes/goats/toads etc i wouldn't care.

andrew

I personally hate all forms of shooting, it sickens me that seemingly intelligent people hunt animals and call it sport. There is no element of sportmanship involved, the animal is hunted by a redneck with a high powered gun. I even know of people who shoot kangaroos for 'sport', our national animal and symbol killed to for absolutely nothing.

boa said:
, it sickens me that seemingly intelligent people hunt animals and call it sport .

Which word doesn't belong? (hint for the hunter; begins with "i" and aint it) :wink:

bikiescum2003 said:
if your not going to eat it dont kill it. thats my rule

Unless we're talking about all of those lovely introduced pests right? We need to make cane toad hunting more popular. Some kind of 'new fad' that involves a competition to find the quickest and most efficient way to kill a large number of them...and give some extravegent prize. Create some kind of ladder, get all those ppl in who are compulsive gamblers and get it on some current affair program and in the Telegraph, that demographic is perfect :)

Which word doesn't belong? (hint for the hunter; begins with "i" and aint it)

Lmao :lol:

I agree, but you yourself used the term 'beloved' to describe herps, so of course we see them differently. We're not 'enthusiasts of animals equally in general' we're herp enthusiasts. If we weren't specific in our 'battles' we'd just be like PETA..and be crazy and obsessive...in a bad way

I see what you're saying, but personally I kinda feel like if you care about one type of animal you should show the same sort of respect (for want of a better word) to other animals...my spider example surfaces yet again :lol:. Scared sheetless of them but I don't kill them...I wouldn't want people killing reptiles just cos they're scared of them so I try to think about it from a spider lover's point of view. My point of view isn't more important than other people's just because it's mine.

It's nice to hear people saying they're anti hunting...in another recent thread most people seemed to be defending it :shock: :?

Zoe do you have any idea of the scale of these round ups? The sheers numbers alone are just sickening, a heap of rednecks go around filling barrels up with rattlers, even the transportation is bad enough, some local populations have been close to destroyed.

Why are you asking me that Dicco? I hate hunting, I think it's unnecessary killing. Do you think I was saying I agree with it? :?. Yeah sure, the number of rattlers killed in these round ups is horrifying but how many animals are killed while people hunt for "sport" around the world every single day?

Sorry, didn't mean to sound like I was accusing you of anything, it was just you asked if people would they be ok if they were killed humanely I was stating the reason why it's still bad. Sorry it came out wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back