Petlink crackdown on reptiles

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mblissett

Reaction score
I just went in and had a look, geez they are getting strict !!

I think its a bit harsh about the rodents for sale as food though

Go to the site to find out who is banned

Matt

Off-topic posts will result in account deactivation and/or banning
The Reptiles and Amphibians classifieds are strictly for advertising reptiles and amphibians only. Off-topic posts will result in immediate account deactivation. Abusive or obscene language will earn offenders an immediate lifelong ban.

While we appreciate that some people had the best of intentions in posting messages of condolence, it has been our experience that these types of posts almost always result in further off-topic posts and (very often) in arguments. For this reason, any post not advertising reptiles or amphibians for sale, wanted or free to a good home will incur immediate account deactivation. There are no exceptions to this rule.

It is every advertiser's responsibility to read and understand the simple Terms of Use (on the Register and Post and Advertisement pages) before posting. The Terms of Use can be summarized in one paragraph: "This board is strictly for advertising Reptiles and Amphibians for sale, Reptiles and Amphibians wanted, or Reptiles and Amphibians free to a good home. Any other kind of posting is considered 'off-topic' and may result in account deactivation or permanent banning from this service. "

If you are not in the list of accounts permanently banned, you can apply to to have your account reactivated two weeks from today. To apply for reactivation:

- Wait two weeks
- Re-read the Terms of Use (on the Register page)
- Email [email protected] with your username, the email address you registered with and a short explanation of how you have contravened the Terms of Use (we want to know that you understand where you went wrong and will not re-offend)

We will assess each reactivation request individually, based on your previous posting history. After receiving your email we may take some time to reactivate your account. Be patient.

WARNING: If you attempt to get around this deactivation by creating a new account, we will ban all of your accounts from the classifieds permanently.

The following accounts have been deactivated for off-topic, abusive or obscene posts (reason in brackets):

Permanently Banned Advertisers

The following advertisers have earned themselves a permanent, lifelong ban for using obscene language, childish behaviour or gross misuse of the classifieds. If you see them posting under another account, please report them to [email protected]. People like this ruin the classifieds for everyone else. They're not welcome here.

Best Regards,

Australian Pet Link
[email protected]

It's about time that they put their foot down about the crap that goes on there!

I thinnk the email addresses of the people that got banned should be also posted on this thread as some of those people are members of APS. I think the amount of childish behaviour and swearing is disgraceful. People that where banned should be ashamed of themselves. I am not talking about the people that where selling rodents of petlink in the reptile section as I myself have done so many times in the past. I think perhaps reptile food should be permitted to be advertised there but i am not the boss.

Re: RE: Petlink crackdown on reptiles

RevDaniel said:
I thinnk the email addresses of the people that got banned should be also posted on this thread as some of those people are members of APS. I think the amount of childish behaviour and swearing is disgraceful. People that where banned should be ashamed of themselves.

I got banned for two weeks, but I wasn’t swearing just told the childish idiot that was starting crap to go away and because it wasn’t herp related I got kicked out for two weeks, and no RevDaniel I don’t feel ashamed of myself so relax because not everyone was swearing just trying to protect the site from idiots like the one that was starting crap because its not like everyday you get a moderator on that site……

I had the email addresses at 1st, but decided once I posted the topic that I didn't want to get flamed

So I edited it :)

I think its was getting a bit out of control myself..... But thats why I haven't been banned cause I can bite my tongue when needed

Matt

Okay well the adds posted saying that oscarfish will be bashed and silly behaviour like that is what i am talking about. many offensive words where used by a member is this site even. He was banned from Petlink. i am a young adult i know but i was offended to see the way people carried on. I go on the site for reptile knowledge not to amuse myself with such stupidity. If a person has a problem with another person why not write that person an email to make them aware of the issue at hand rather than to try make a fool publicly. Anyway i am off to Nowra so until then. take care of one and other and other and yourselves

Have fun at Nowra mate, im of to Goulburn tonight and tomorrow ill be collecting logs and rocks for my new olive python setup I built outside, will post pics soon…………have a good weekend everyone........

So its still ok to sell illegal herps just no rodents :?
Im sure no one whos banned will just start a new account :roll:
still it is a small step in the right direction.

I dont think there is a need to post peoples names here on APS, some of the reasons people got banned arent all that bad for example "DO NOT post rodents for sale as food on PetLink" .

I get quite a few sales of rodents from Petlink, and I don't swear or abuse the system, but my contact email hasn't been listed :?

J.

It seems its only a recent crack down resulting from Steve Erwins death, i noticed some nasty posts about him on there this week.

I thinks its rubbish that you cant sell rodents as food on petlink, i hope they have also band all other forms of pet foods from being advertised!!!

Matt

Hi all.

I have been banned for two weeks on petlink and can get reactivated then if I reapply.

My crime you ask? - I noticed that there was a load a top rate vulgarity going on and I posted an add that stated that their are a lot of kids who view this site and who do not need to see such filth etc etc etc.

I also posted a separate topic that asked for all the idiots that were posting needless reptile ads (when the reptiles don't actually even exist or with extraordinary prices attached) you know the type I mean.

Never swore once and only crime was trying to tame what was becoming a real emotional issue.

For those that don't know people had been leaving R.I.P. ads for Steve Irwin and his family. One idiot left a short comment but a comment that was in real bad taste and directed at Steve Irwin. That's how it all started.

I even e-mailed them and asked them to have a look at the situation that was unravelling on their site and I get a ban.

I have sent them a letter and want a reply.

Talk about being frustrated.

I really think some people should have read all the comments that people from this site wrote.

Not sure (and I have sent you a PM) but I don't believe that any of the people from this site were banned for threatening, fowl or indecent language etc. They were actually trying to stop what was happening or were actually even posting rodents for sale.

There are certain people on that site who were banned and should have been banned for life.

Ive just been told ive been banned by another member (thanks for that) and I dont know why nor do I know how to even find out if its correct or not.I post exotics in the rat and the mouse section but dont recall ever posting feeders in either topic.
Odie
Rip Mr Brock

I have just sent them an e-mail requesting an explanation and also asked why people that they have banned for life (due to fowl language etc etc) still have their ads up for all to see.

Nothing back as yet. :twisted:

At least our mods contact us directly when we step out of line :lol: .

As it should be

I think that the comments were deviating from the original thread and that was to sell herps and herp products. The site in essence is not a discussion forum. It's sites like these that help us vent our frustrations.

The comments made in the last few days in the site were aggravating and at times uncalled for. Comments made can be made in passing or as a flight of fancy to get a bite from people. They got the bite and things as they usually do can get blown out of proportion and I thank the site owners for recognising the issues and doing something about it.

Unlike this site, there are no usual moderators to check the language and tone of the ads and there is minimal watchdogging and control.The site owners only expects advertisements. It is meant to be a site safe for all who use it and be accessed by children.

Everybody complained that petlink was a haven for illegal dealings & scams, every1 insisted they don't use it as it is a crap service etc. Now the staff over there are having a go at cleaning it up (probly due to the constant bagging members here give the place) and now you complain that they are too strict or because you were banned for breaching there rules. I guess they just cant win.

Re: RE: Petlink crackdown on reptiles

JandC_Reptiles said:
Everybody complained that petlink was a haven for illegal dealings & scams, every1 insisted they don't use it as it is a crap service etc. Now the staff over there are having a go at cleaning it up (probly due to the constant bagging members here give the place) and now you complain that they are too strict or because you were banned for breaching there rules. I guess they just cant win.

J & C I'll say one thing. If you are referring to me I would like you to get your facts straight.

I contacted petlink prior to posting my objection of bad language being used. This took place 2 days prior to be exact. I heard no response and that is why I posted my ad. I have since had no courtesy of a reply.

They have a duty of care to make sure that a site, that can be accessed by kids, remains clear of vulgarity, threats of violence etc etc.

If I get banned from their site for attempting to stop what was taken place because they did not get off their butt then so be it.

If you did not read any (or all) of the posts on the site then please do not comment. I also don't think it is fair to be banned for atempting to sell rats as food.

I am associated with primary school which use computers as part of their curriculm. When they do projects on animals they like to use "Herpshop, petlink, APS" to name a few. I won't have the kids subjected to what was taking place on that day.

RE: Re: RE: Petlink crackdown on reptiles

Guys,

I didn't want to start a war..... I was only posting this as to what has happened :)

Please can we all just crawl back in our kennels... Me included and all just get on....

I would love everyone here to go back to being the happy little herpers we were once known as :)

RE: Re: RE: Petlink crackdown on reptiles

No it wasnt directed at you it was a general statement aimed at the majority complaining.

Does it really matter if seling rodents for food is banned? It is in many petshops anyway. I am sure rodent fanciers maybe complaining against the idea just as loudly as those reptile keepers complaining for it. As I said the staff can't win 1 way or another. I would hate to state the obvious but why can't members advertise rodents without implying they are to become fodder? No harm in selling them as pets & once they leave your possession become either pets or food.

I agree the language etc should be moderated, and you may have been banned for trivial reasons, but if the rules are in place that states the classifieds are only to be used for buying & selling then sorry to say by creating a discussion you have breached their rules. You should of emailed the webmaster & left it up to them to clean it up.

The Reptile classifieds are hit the hardest by these rules, this implys that thats where the most problems & complaining are. So I guess we can thank many APS members for helping get the section moderated :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back