photos of Burton's Snake-lizards

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moloch05

Reaction score
I think that Burton's Snake-lizards (Lialis burtonis) are one of our more interesting Pygopods. These snake-like lizards have an enormus distribution that covers most of the continent. They also are highly variable in colouration and pattern. Here are a few of the animals that I have seen

Windorah, QLD
Burtons2.jpg

Burtons1.jpg

Karijini, WA
burtons1.jpg

burtons3.jpg

Perth, WA
burtons1.jpg

burtons2.jpg

Mt. Glorious, QLD
burtons2.jpg

burtons1.jpg

Georgetown, QLD
burtons1.jpg

burtons2.jpg

Cooktown,QLD
burtons1.jpg

burtons4.jpg

Exmouth, WA
Burtons2.jpg

Burtons1.jpg

If any of you have photos that illustrate different colours or patterns, I would love to see them.

Regards,
David

Wow you can see why they are called snake lizards huh. the first ones head looks so like a snake and lizard morphed OMG!

cccccoooolllll,
Crush.

i found one on sydneys northern beaches but was dumbfounded when i couldnt find the species. i didnt get to snap a photo as i ran back for the camera. as luck has it, it scrambled away. it was getting afternoon sun.

Hi David,
Beautifull photographs as usual.
Here are a couple more, slightly different to your pics,
except for the middle one which is very similar to your
photo from Mount Glorious.
The first grey one is from Stanthorpe.
The brown is a Sunshine coast local, and the grey
animal with the dashes is from Glenmorgan.
They are one of the most variable (colour and pattern)
reptiles we have.
Mike.

Attachments

• burton's snake lizard 5C.jpg
    burton's snake lizard 5C.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 92
  • burton's snake lizard 8.jpg
    burton's snake lizard 8.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 96
  • burton's snake lizard 9B.jpg
    burton's snake lizard 9B.jpg
    290.2 KB · Views: 88
Perth, WA

burtonis2.jpg

burtonis5.jpg

Quairading, WA Wheat belt.

burtonis.jpg

Nice pics so far :)
Jordan

Last edited:
do you still keep them jonno? what do they feed on? any special treatment?

I still keep them. They feed solely on skinks, with incredibly few people having success with anything other than lizards as food. I keep them just like you'd keep a hatchling snake - I admit that it isn't ideal, but we are currently building a new lizard housing facility and they will be transferred to a more relevant enclosure.

Nice ones Stewart. Around Perth i see pretty much solely grey and yellow animals with varying amounts of striping. Really common in the hills, often see them on the road or hear them in the leaf litter while trecking at night. Those red/ brown animals yourself and David posted are unreal, yet to see any that colour.

Jordan

Central Queensland Coast.
Herps099.jpg

I still keep them. They feed solely on skinks, with incredibly few people having success with anything other than lizards as food. I keep them just like you'd keep a hatchling snake - I admit that it isn't ideal, but we are currently building a new lizard housing facility and they will be transferred to a more relevant enclosure.

A friend of mine feeds his solely on Asian House Geckos.
If they could be fed woodies etc.. i reckon they would be
very popular... oh well..lol

what fascinating looking creatures an gorgeous colours! what is their personality/temperament like?

Thats strange how their allowed to be kept legally on licence yet the food you have to feed them isn't...? it's a shame their so hard to keep..their gorgeous lizards :)

Yeah Uro.... i re-sized it now LOL

Thats strange how their allowed to be kept legally on licence yet the food you have to feed them isn't...? it's a shame their so hard to keep..their gorgeous lizards :)

There are species of skink open for legal collection as feeders, this would of course depend
on your local state guide lines.
As well as exotic geckos being a option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back