Pink Tongue Skink - Death roll!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonno from ERD

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
G'day guys,

One of my Pink Tongues seems to be having an identity crisis - he thinks he's a croc! I just chucked some snails into their enclosure, and this delusional Pink Tongue grabbed one, but when the snail refused to unstick itself from the wall of the enclosure, Mr Pink Tongue performed 3 perfect death rolls, just like one of Stevo's crocs!

Anyone ever seen it before?

My bluetongues did that...
One day I was in the pit feeding them and I was waving some catfood around on a fork in front of one of their tunels with my pinky finger up high like a lady (can you see where this story is going...?) and one of my big females LAUNCHES out of the tunnel, past the food and grabs my pinky finger and starts trying to death-roll to wrench my frickin finger off!!!
It hurt soooo much, and my mum was watching (I was 12) laughing her bum off instead of helping me :(

Jonno, i kept pink tongues for about 3 years before giving them to a friend. During that time i only ever saw it once, he did it after taking the snail off its mate, almost like a tantrum. A few head shakes and the snail was gone.

Simone.

Deathrolling is quite common with Pinktongues, bluetongues ect, esp when fighting with each other. When keeping baby pinktongues together you would see this every time you feed them, as they are quite aggressive around food and would turn on each other in an instant, making me have to sit with them untill all the food was gone.

I've also seen a horiffic incident at feeding time where a leg got in the way and was deathrolled off and eaten.

I have only seen my stumpies do it in fighting, near breeding time. My juvenile decided he wasn't so juvenile and kept hassling his dad, who ignored the biting etc for a while, suddenly got fed up and grabbed his sons leg and death rolled twice. The leg swelled for a couple of days and was ok. He helped me determine that it was time to separate them at breeding time! Otherwise they live happily together for 9 months of the year.

Kim

when i first bought my huge male ewd home he was terrified from the long drive and when i pulled him outa the box he bit hold of it and tried to do a death roll. luckily he never trys biting me :)

I have seen garden skinks do this many times. Its just random. One will be walking along, another will walk straight up and confront him and then one gets rolled, but not to eat they just walk away, from each other

Never seen it in Skinks but its a common uccurence with my thumb whenever I need to handle the Oedura geckos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back