Pisces Crickets?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
my central bearded used to eat a tub every feed. feeder roaches are a cheaper option because they just keep on breeding.

1 tub every feed? Bugger that means I will need to buy 3 tubs at $6.50 each every day! Woah damn I better start breeding!

1 tub every feed? Bugger that means I will need to buy 3 tubs at $6.50 each every day! Woah damn I better start breeding!
yeah i had that problem until i found the feeder roaches all my dragons love them. and there easy to keep too you just put some mouse pellets in with them and some fruit or vegetables every so often and just splash a heap of water around their tub and there happy they breed like crazy.

I get mail-order crickets from www.frogs.org.au
Order them by Friday, they're posted out in poster-tubes on Monday.
They're healthy and better value than petshop crickets, though woodies are probably your best bet for cheap bulk feeding!

i get crickerts from pet shop and i feed 2 beared dragons on half container each day and heaps of vegies

On frogs.org.au it says Crickets: 1/4 size ( 2g / ~100) does that mean you get 100 crickets?

Yep. 2g of 1/4 sized crickets equals about 100 insects.
I just got a shipment today - 330 1/3 sized crickets including express postage for about $25. This feeds my Central Netted Dragon and 5 Knobtail Geckoes comfortably for about 2 weeks.

Works out cheaper than buying them in bags from my local petshop, as well as more convienient and the quality is better. I have a standing order on frogs.org.au so every 2 weeks they automatically debit my credit card and deliver crickets to my door so I never have to worry about running out and leaving work early to get to the petshop (people at my work dont seem to appreciate that the cricket shop is not like Woollworths and my lizards are important).

I have a large 5L container that will fit in the fridge. I've cut a big hole in the lid and stuck on some flyscreen (for the love of god use aluminium flyscreen!!!! I used plastic flyscreen on my first lot and subsequently they ate through it and I had about 200 crickets all over my flash unit when I got home the next day!). I fill up the container with egg cartons and toilet roll tubes, and put in a handful of mouse pellets and half a carrot in there to keep them going.
Transferring the crickets from their shipping tube is easy if you put the whole tube in the fridge for about 20mins before taking the lid off. They'll slow right down and make it easy to empty the transport tube into your holding container.
Every time I get a new shipment I tip all the old cardboard and food into the bin and start again with fresh egg cartons and food etc.

I notice my crickets start to smell after a couple of days so I put the container outside in the shade until I'm ready to get some out. When I want some, I put the holding container in the fridge for 20mins so it's safe to take the lid off and use some tweezers to hoik out as many crickets as I need into an icecream container with some calcium and/or vitamin powder in it. Put the lid on the holding container and store it, and put the lid on the icecream container, shake it gently so the bugs get coated with powder, and they should still be slow enough to work with without jumping out everywhere. Once they're in your lizard enclosure they'll heat up quickly and be as good as new.

Last edited:
Thanks for that Glider!
Sheesh..talk about co-workers that don't understand anything about crickets!

http://www.pailsforscales.com.au/foods.htm

$93 fro 2000 smalls.

i was spending $60-70 a week on petshop crickets for 2 young beardies before i found roaches on line.

my beardies perfer woodies over crickets anyday though, so theyre probably the better, cheaper and healthier option.

Alex_c - you say 'splash a heap of water around'? I've found my woodies drown in about 1mm of water! You must have the olympic swimmer versions. :)

Glider - mine smell too - I think its vile, like a cross between ammonia and really smelly socks. I've found mine are better if I don't order 'large' as they are near the end of their life cycle and there are regular dead ones. Getting bulk mediums I've found that they are still a decent size and don't get too many dead ones before I run out. The bulk large I recently bought even stank straight out of the bag, as there were already a lot of dead ones included. Pretty sure the dead ones were in my 1000 I paid for and not chucked in for good measure! Not happy jan!

Last edited:
Alex_c - you say 'splash a heap of water around'? I've found my woodies drown in about 1mm of water! You must have the olympic swimmer versions. :)

Glider - mine smell too - I think its vile, like a cross between ammonia and really smelly socks. I've found mine are better if I don't order 'large' as they are near the end of their life cycle and there are regular dead ones. Getting bulk mediums I've found that they are still a decent size and don't get too many dead ones before I run out. The large bulk large I had, they even stank straight out of the bag, as there were already a lot of dead ones. Pretty sure the dead ones were in my 1000 I paid for and not chucked in for good measure! Not happy jan!
these ones ive got just drink it all they love it

I order 1000 mediums at a time from Prestige Pets, costs me about $50 delivered I think.
That is then enough to feed my geckos as well as leaving plenty to get to adult breeding size to breed baby crickets for my baby geckos.
Mine don't really smell; a little and I would not keep them in my bedroom but nothing overpowering.

How long do you find that these crickets last? I mean...if your pets don't eat them in time...how long do the crickets happily sit in what container until they start being dead unhappy crickets?

By buying mediums, I get about 4-8 weeks out of them usually.

if your feeding a tub a feed you should be putting them on fruit and veg and cat food thats just a waste of money other wise

I get 2 boxes of picses large crickets for my 3 large tree frogs. I transfer them to a plastic pet container (approx 20cm x 10cm) along with the 2 egg cardboard pieces stacked together. I put in a packet of gutload, a few slices of carrot and a slice of cucumber for them to eat.

The 2 boxes i got today must have been fresh in because there weren't any dead ones!! Usually there's only 1 or 2 anyway.

The crickets last me about 2 weeks depending how hungry my frogs are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back