Plants in enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stormangel

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone

sorry to ask questions, but I've done a search on the forum and am not coming up with any reference to what plants would be good in a tank...

This is my first set up so I'm a nOob :)

I will be getting a python soon, so I was wondering what plants you guys put in ya tank? I'm thinking of putting in ferns for 2 reasons:

1/ hidey space
2/ aesthetics

any suggestions are welcome :)

Plastic plants can look alright if you get good ones. I don't use any plants plastic or otherwise. four of my five spend most of their time under newspaper. I do use wood branches and the exo terra hides spots.

Though take note that my enclosures are to contain my animals not to be furniture. A good enclosure looks lovely but I am lazy :wink: .

As Munkee suggested, plastic plants are probably the way to go. Live plants can be easily damaged, have to remain in pots which means they need regular watering, especially something like a fern which benefits from high humidity (not necessarily the best for a python). And they also need full spectrum lighting that includes UVA & UVB - something not usually required for a python. If you use a heat source (like a lamp or ceramic) it will dry out the plant and you will need to water the plant much more frequently. A tatty plant can actually make an enclosure look bad and unkept.

From a management/health point of view for the animal, a plant (and the soil in the pot) can also be hiding places for mites and other parasites or pathogens.

:p

Hix

Also A Live Plant generally needs Fertilising occasionally..Which of course would be bad for a snake...

SSOO.... Stormangel... Put some plastic ones in.... Where are you from... I have a phone number for a place that makes them round the Brissy Area somewhere round my place.. I can try and find it if you are from up this way...

Hi Storm,

I'm no x-pert with reptiles just a new be also, but we have air plants glued(used a non toxic glue) to the backing wall of our lizard enclosure, they only need misting every few days and don't require fertiliser. Would also suggest succulents, agaves, and if your after tropical look, Zamioculcas is a very hardy indoor plant does not require heaps of light or water (still need regular watering) also call chinese fortune plant, has glossy dark green leaves, similar to fern in apperance but more hardy.

Our Lizards love it when we put in seedlings of rocket for them to feed on, as long as it has a peppery taste they also love watercress seedlings.

Raki

I actualy have a silk plant in my pythons enclosure. It looks fantastic, and he spends most of his time in it.

staffsrule said:
I actualy have a silk plant in my pythons enclosure. It looks fantastic, and he spends most of his time in it.

I too use the silk plants available from most herp shops look real can be washed and the critters love em.

I used to have a Chinese Water Bamboo in my snake's enclosure when he was younger and I found it worked really well. If it weren't for the fact that I kill every plant I come across I think it would still be there today lol. This one was planted, not just in the water that some are sold in and because they're quite solid he was able to climb all over it which he did a lot! Probably wouldn't be too great for a larger python though but for a baby it worked well :)

another idea is to have no plants. I have this backing that you can get at most pet shops that looks like a rainforest. its vinyl so easy to clean and looks great. ya just need some dried logs and branches for climbing and some hide boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back