Please help.. what do I try next

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ally_pup

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Okay so I have a woma (born Jan 8 ) who has only eaten a rat pup once for me (back in march).
He has been with a friend who has tried everything for me including rats, mice, chickens and quails and he still will not eat.
He has had 5 consecutive force feeds and none of it seems to be working and he is just not interested in food..
I know this is very unusual for womas and unlike my others who are pigs he just will not eat!
I get my boy back at the end of the week so does anyone have any life saving tricks that may get this boy feeding as I am scared force feeding may stress him out to the point of death!
Ally

My advice would be to take it to a good herp vet for a general checkup (checking for parasites and bacterial infections in particular). Whilst there have the vet force feed it 5-6 pinkies.

How is it being housed at the moment?

Housed in a small tub.
Like the starmaid 10LT ones, with hide, heat etc.
There is no vets in Mackay who know jack about reps and I took him before he went to my mates and they said he was fine I dont think they knew wat they were looking for anyway)!

Perhaps try replacing the hide with 10 layers of crumpled newspaper folded and squashed in there. I'd also put newspaper around the outside of the tub so the snake cannot see out. Then leave it alone for a week, and then offer another quail. If it refuses, try a live fuzzy the next night, if it still refuses i'd really try and seek out a good herp vet, even if it is hours away. If it is looking emaciated i would force feed it 4-5 pinkies every week, as once they get to a certain stage it is very hard to bring them back. Also, when offering food, try not to be seen or heard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back