Poisoned? , Toxic shock

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pyrodarknessanny

Reaction score
Poisoned?
Toxic shock

so just checked my snakes before going to bed and I found something very distressing
my male Stimson is all flabby (no muscle tone) he appears to be inflated. This looks like its in the digestive tract, not the repertory tract. Hes very uncoordinated too!

when I checked on them this morning at about 6 am, I found that he had vomited up his last feed a mouse from 2 days before, but he still had good tone and coordination at that time.

his enclosure bedding is news paper. And I never use chemicals around the herp room, im the only one who touches them and make sure I wash my hands before and after handling them to prevent chemical contact with them. The day time temps are 30 degrees c and the night time temps get as low as 27.

the last lot of rats and mice I got the pet shop said that they had gotten them from a different source to what they normally get them from.

im wondering if the rodent breeder had used any mite and flea sprays prior to culling and freezing the mice.

or what other possible causes there are for this to happen!

some one help! This has never happened before
what the crap do I do?

hi has been placed in a tempory hospital tank, but I don’t think he will make it thru the night
posien.jpg

Last edited:
no it was from a "local" breeder at bunderburge.
i got it from my pet shop, that i have been getting food from for months now.
they said that this supply wasnt from there regular source

Last edited:
I think this has happened to a mate of mine , the food sat undigested for a couple of days before it was spat back up , I would recommend checking over husbandry and cage parameters just to be sure it isnt heat related

I lost a bredli to bad food once, same story, wans't from the usualy source. Promted me to start breeding my own. The symptoms yours is showing sounds very similar. I really hope he pulls through for you long enough to get him to a vet.
There's no chance of a heat failure or something like kupper suggested?

no, no heat failure he is normaly set up on a rack system with several other ants, all of them i fed 2 days ago from the batch of food i had gotten from the pet shop. hes the only one who has gotten sick.

posien01.png
he is puffy all the way down his body.
and verry un co an floppy,
normaly this animal wants to bite and maul me.
his skin is also sticky feeling and puffy too.

any idea what his chances for survival are?
none of the vets around are open at all tomorw, and the only one with emergency care, wont have a thing to do with herps (i have tryed them in the past for other issues).

Last edited:
Maybe you could ring a herp vet to get some advice?

(08 8932 9738 this is the number for one up here. They are wildlife carers
so I asume they will answer the phone on Sunday, may even answer phone now?
They also do a fair bit of herp stuff from what I have heard ( never had to use them) Can't hurt to try.
Good luck.

ok ill give them a call in the morning and see if thay have any advie for me,
that is if he is still alive

how awful for you

it is my worst nightmare to have something unexplained like you have described happen to my snakes

i do hope you have a chance to get to the vet today and it isnt too late....do let us know how you get on

and i hate to sound gruesome....but if you are unfortunate enough to lose you baby if you could get a herp vet to do an autopsy.....it would be worth knowning what the heck has gone wrong

Elizabeth

I know what your feeling, I lost a Sandy the other day due to food poisoning off chicken necks, It was very upsetting.
Good luck,

Sounds like it may be the food. I lost two young Diamonds and nearly lost another and a Stimson due to bad food, kindly sold to me by a forum member. The later two pulled through as a had fed them a mouse on top of the rat and it is believed the mouse "diluted" the poison.

I had them autopsied and the vet said he hadn't seen anything like it before, that every major organ had "failed".

Mine displayed all the signs yours did as well, bar the puffiness. Good luck with yours:(

When you guys say bad food what do you mean is wrong with it? Is it the breeder leaving them too long before freezing or using chemicals or something?

I hope your little guy pulls through.

just letting every one know that hi died,
not sure exactly when but some time between 12:00 am and 6:am,

so som where in that 4 hr time brackket.
im verry distrought by this experiance.
he is in the freezer at the moment but i have called my vet (recommened to me by the local park ranger/snake catcher) and i will be getting an autopsy done on him as soon as i can.

unfortunatly having blood tests for poisons or toxic substances will cost an arm and a leg, and i just cant afford that, but im still getting the vet to cut him open for me.

as it is horrofying to see any creature die such a painfull and dramatic death.

i will let you know the resulsts from the autopsy when i get them.

I'm so sorry for your loss.
Thinking of you at this sad time : (

Sorry to hear. Someone please correct me if i'm wrong but isnt freezing the wrong way to store an animal destined for an autopsy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back