Pond Critters!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Possum

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

We have successfully transformed our backyard inground 35,000 litre saltwater pool into a fresh water pond, with UV filters installed. We currently have boatmen, damsel fly larvae and other assorted insects living in the water, with an Eastern Long Neck Turtle and a Marron. In a couple of weeks we will be adding some Silver Perch.

Does anyone know if Yabbies and Marron can live happily together?
Where to buy Yabbies or Marron (besides the Sydney Fish Market as those ones have taken a beating).

Also does anyone have an excess of water lily's?

Yes they can live together (assuming you mean Marron and Cherax destructor) but yabbies are very agressive.

Oh wow it sounds great...got any pics for us to get jealous over?

We have been taking pics as we go because it has taken a very long time, I never realised to take salt out of the water would be such a time consuming wait.

I will try and find some for you.

So we have a marron at the moment that we bought from the Fish Markets and we have laid pvc for him, which he seems happy with we would be better off sticking with those guys. I don't want the Yabbies maruading and hurting the Marron, they have enough to worry about with out Turty, she is very nosey and bossy, she bunts him around, lucky he is rather large she does not eat him.

We bought 3 Marron on Saturday from the Market but as I said they were in bad shape and one died Saturday night and the other yesterday, both were laying on there sides when we put them in :(, poor little buggers.

Sounds very exciting, i used to go yabbying with a piece of meat on the end of a string. Lots of fun.

Your pics of each stage of building would be great to see, I'm looking forward to it :)

Maybe the Cod would eat everything else but maybe the Turtle will be alright.I think it would be interesting to have a 100kg Cod as a pet.

Do you think the pool will stay crystal clear, cos it wouldnt take much to hide the yabbies.

The pond is not heated.
No thanks to the Freshies.
The Water Lily's are for shade and hides for the critters, they may try and eat them but at the moment they are for looking nice and protection from predators, they also help keep the water levels in-check.
Marron are from the Crusty family same as Yabbies but are much bigger and have bumps on their heads.
The water is very clear although to keep some critters happy there needs to be a certain amount of algae present, this is hard to maintain without it taking over but I think we are winning.
The Cod will indeed try and eat everything (except the Turtle - I hope), so that is why we would prefer the Silver Perch.

However I am still trying to find out where I can buy feeder fish in bulk (Guppies to stay with Aust. natives). Any help would be appreciated as well as any spare Water Lilys, we are willing to come get them ourselves or if you know where to buy them (besides Tims Gardens or Garden Magic, they are very expensive).

Well it all sounds really exciting! I cant wait to see some pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back