Frogs in pond

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tfor2

Reaction score
We have a large pond in our front yard, its about 10 metres round. Its full of lillys and pond reeds and grasses. We noticed about 6 months ago we have little green frogs and there was quite a few of them, although at the time i never seen any egg larva, does anyone know where these little frogs would lay eggs and what predators would the larva have?
In the pond there are only about 10 goldfish that we put in and lots of guppies.
And the fact that we havent seen them in a while, would that be due to the cold temps? Where do they go?
Im not sure what kind of frogs they are but we live on the gold coast Qld, if that helps with identifcation, and they are just very small and green.
Is there something i can do to protect their habitat a little better, to keep the breeding cycle happening?

hey tfor2 as far as I know a lot of frogs are in hiding for the winter so don't be alarmed when it warms up your surely see them again, Goldfish will eat tadpols so the best thing to do if you want to keep the goldfish put a lot of hydrilla in the pond which gives the tadpoles more hiding spots plus its easy to get from most pet stores, I would probably say its an eastern sedgefrog.

Attachments

• 180px-Plant_-_Hydrilla_verticillata_-_Batu_kawa.jpg
    180px-Plant_-_Hydrilla_verticillata_-_Batu_kawa.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 39
  • 321030078_91a2c91d8e.jpg
    321030078_91a2c91d8e.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 44
Most non-native and a lot of native fish will eat frog spawn and tadpoles , goldfish especially and guppies. If you want to help as many as possible survive I would remove all the fish. If you want to have fish in the pond to eat mozzie larvae you can ask on the frogs community as we have a native fish person on the site to let you know the best one for your area. A lot of frogs in your area could be classified as small and green when they morph so unless you had a photo you won't be able to get a proper I.D but here is a list of frogs that you could find in your area: http://frogs.org.au/frogs/ofQld/Around_Brisbane

For tree frogs planting around the pond with thick vegetation can slow down cane toads from gaining access plus lots of plants increase insects as well and the frogs will like them too.

Thanks for that info. That is a great site, i never realised we had so many frogs here.
Looking at the pics im convinced that they are
Litoria fallax
Eastern Dwarf Tree Frog
i will look into the native fish.
Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back