Pond planning help for C. longicollis.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pako1

Reaction score
Hi all, nice forum here. I recently acquired an Eastern Longneck, and it has been kept it's whole life in a rather small aquarium and fed a poor diet. Despite this it is still quite healthy and sprightly, and I would love to build a nice pond for it in the front. I live on the Sunshine Coast, near the beach just for climate reference. I was planning for the pond to be around 1.5-2m long, around the same width or less, and hopefully a nice depth of 60cm+. My question is what I should purchase for this? I intend to use liner, this one (EPDM Pond Liner) seems very good. Is it possible to embed links btw? What sort of filter would I need? I plan on having just the one turtle, perhaps in the future I might purchase another one, but for now it will definitely just be the one. I would also like to get some plant action in there, is an entirely plant filtered pond of that size possible? I also plan to have a fence around the pond of about half a metre, and some fencing above the pond to protect from stray cats and birds (no cane toads here thankfully).
So basically my questions are:
Is the liner that I linked good?
What sort of filter should I get?
What sort of pump should I get?
Anything else I should purchase?

Thanks in advance.

My only suggestions would be maybe a pre-made fibre glass pond instead of DIY & more importantly the pond will have to be fenced off to prevent the turtle from wondering & depending on cats & dogs will determine how high the fencing should be. From experience I've had a full grown turtle capable of climbing over a 40cm high chicken wire fence that I thought was high enough.

EPDM pond liner is a very good liner and has be used with eastern longnecks with no problems. As for a filter, turtles are very messy animals, I would recommend a bog filter filled with scoria or 10-20mm river rocks. It's recommended that 4-7 times the amount of water in the pond flow through the filter every hour. River sand should be used as the substrate for the pond and plants like water lilies are great as the provide shade and also hiding spots for the turtle.
Hope this helps :)

Not to put a downer on it, but in nsw, if the pond is deeper than 300mm you need a pool fence, not sure about qld, just when you said it's going in the front yard,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back