Portable vs split system air conditioning?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he may have meant 1k for a 6kw window box unit Andy. Sounds like you got your split system at a good price.
Yeah maybe or possibly in Canadian dollars, I just looked at where he/she was from. Very good price but I am little worried about what [MENTION=38385]DisturbedDave[/MENTION] wrote because it is a Fujitsu. My mate is installing it for a few hundred but if it ever needs regaling it may be expensive.

I think the efficency of portable ac vs split system more than offsets the additional upfront cost. To produce the same amount of cooling a split system costs less to run than a portable .

Yeah maybe or possibly in Canadian dollars, I just looked at where he/she was from. Very good price but I am little worried about what [MENTION=38385]DisturbedDave[/MENTION] wrote because it is a Fujitsu. My mate is installing it for a few hundred but if it ever needs regaling it may be expensive.

Rest assured, the reason they are using that refrigerant is because it's cheap ($20 or so a kilo versus $120). Providing a good install, it shouldn't leak. The issue is if it does leak, there currently is no wholesaler who stocks the refrigerant. That, and the pipe connections on the unit is a new fitting that no one is used to and dont know how to fit it properly

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

Rest assured, the reason they are using that refrigerant is because it's cheap ($20 or so a kilo versus $120). Providing a good install, it shouldn't leak. The issue is if it does leak, there currently is no wholesaler who stocks the refrigerant. That, and the pipe connections on the unit is a new fitting that no one is used to and dont know how to fit it properly

My mate fits these type quite often and hasn't mentioned any problems yet so fingers crossed.

By the time it does need regassing it would probably have become a common thing wouldnt it? Most companies would switch to the cheaper option wouldn't they? If it does need to be regassed could you use the better refridgerant or is it not compatible?

There's a chance it won't exist if the carbon levy gets pulled. I work for a company who won't make units with that refrigerant, others are following suit.

There's a chance it won't exist if the carbon levy gets pulled. I work for a company who won't make units with that refrigerant, others are following suit.

From what I can find on the net the refrigerant that Fujitsu use is R32 which is mildly flammable and they are using this because it is less ozone depleting than other (previous) gasses and the push to use this bass is coming from the government.

Correct, but don't be fooled, it has been used by Fujitsu because it is cheaper to fill their units with that rather than R410a. No manufacturer would change their design just for the environment

Correct, but don't be fooled, it has been used by Fujitsu because it is cheaper to fill their units with that rather than R410a. No manufacturer would change their design just for the environment

It is cheaper due to the carbon levy not the carbon tax, I am not dare of any changes to the carbon levy at this stage. The R32 is 1.5 times better at cooling so it is cheaper and better than R410a which contains R32 with fire suppressants added. R32 has a lower explosive limit of 3.5% which means that in a normal sized room if the entire A/C bass was lost into the room there would not be enough to explode so the fire danger would be if a leak developed and sprayed directly into a fire which I would hope to not be in. The gas has been around for a long time but only recently been used in Japan and China in manufacturing. I hope that I do not need to reggaes my unit but if I do I hope that you are not right about it not being around.

It is cheaper due to the carbon levy not the carbon tax, I am not dare of any changes to the carbon levy at this stage. The R32 is 1.5 times better at cooling so it is cheaper and better than R410a which contains R32 with fire suppressants added. R32 has a lower explosive limit of 3.5% which means that in a normal sized room if the entire A/C bass was lost into the room there would not be enough to explode so the fire danger would be if a leak developed and sprayed directly into a fire which I would hope to not be in. The gas has been around for a long time but only recently been used in Japan and China in manufacturing. I hope that I do not need to reggaes my unit but if I do I hope that you are not right about it not being around.

Correct, carbon tax has nothing to do with it, it's all a levy.
You'll be fine, because if it leaks, you're still covered by warranty. And Truthfully, if it does leak out of warranty, you can retrofit it for R410a.
Oh, I didn't mention, i work in refrig/airconditioning wholesale.

You don't have anything to worry about with Fujitsu, it's just that a lot of installers are boycotting Fujitsu

Correct, carbon tax has nothing to do with it, it's all a levy.
You'll be fine, because if it leaks, you're still covered by warranty. And Truthfully, if it does leak out of warranty, you can retrofit it for R410a.
Oh, I didn't mention, i work in refrig/airconditioning wholesale.

You don't have anything to worry about with Fujitsu, it's just that a lot of installers are boycotting Fujitsu
Cheers , thanks for the heads up. What is involved with a retro-fit ? Is it just the copper pipe size or is there other stuff? Hopefully if it is installed correctly I will have a nice cool house again.

Chances are the piping should be fine, as most paircoil is r410 rated anyway. Not 100% sure as to what's involved, but r32 has a 410a blend in it.
Luckily you wouldn't have to worry about that for a while ;-)

The house is one that my brother and I purchased, so the RTA bit doesn't apply unfortunately. The house definitely must not be insulated, but will have to see if my brother will go halves in the cost to insulate it at some stage.

The same with the air con unit- the reason I initially considered a portable unit was because I sort of begrudge paying $1500+ to have a unit installed when I have to leave it behind.

The house is one that my brother and I purchased, so the RTA bit doesn't apply unfortunately. The house definitely must not be insulated, but will have to see if my brother will go halves in the cost to insulate it at some stage.

The same with the air con unit- the reason I initially considered a portable unit was because I sort of begrudge paying $1500+ to have a unit installed when I have to leave it behind.

I hear ya. I installed a $3k ducted heating system, and will be renting it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back