Possable Brumation? Help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dotora

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Well its just about been a full circle since I got my first EBD, everything has gone fine and everything is still fine. I have a single question though, is it normal for a EBD or any Bearded Dragon to start brumation around this time?

My female used to stay up till 7pm when the lights went out however over the last week she has started to kip down at about 5pm and going to sleep, should I be worried that she has started to do this or is it fine.

I have also in the last three weeks added another EBD to the enclosure, it is a male but he is about 1/3 her size would this be a factor or is brumation a much more likley cause.

Cheers

Dot

My snake is so it's possible I guess.

yea its starting to brumate in about 1 month it will fully go to sleep and it wont eat my centrals are startign to brumate now because lizards self brumate were snakes you have to cool them yourself by turning the heat down.

my 16mth old beardie is slowing down aswell and having nana naps

this is the time of year when all dragons start to brumate. As long as the conditions are there of course. My 3 year old is starting to eat less and is going to bed earlier and getting up later. Within another month she'll be fully asleep and wont wake up (except for the occassional peek from her eyelids) for another 4-6 months. It's the natural thing to do, and you get to save on food during this period too, which is great! However, my EBD hasn't started yet, only the CBD.
I spose all you can do is keep your eyes on them and make sure they're not sick, and if they do it naturally, then that's their business and you'll just have to go along with it! :D

mine is pooping heaps less and only staying awake for 2 / 3 hours and then goes back to bed for a while and then out again and so on. Im worried about his first brumation I wanted to fatten him up first.

Here in WA the temps are now starting too cool! this will be my first winter having my stimmy! - just a few questions in regard to this. Do i still control the temps with his heat mat? and do i still use his heat light during the day to replicate the sun?

I keep my lizards outdoors in south coast NSW, therefore they will brumate as the temps drop. I only see them for a few hours a day now, usually in late afternoon and they have pretty much stopped eating. I've fed them up for a few months now as this will be their first winter outdoors.

I thought that for people that keep them indoors that brumation may not be necessary if the cage temps are maintained at normal levels.

Alternatively, if people who keep them outdoors bring them inside for winter, then brumation may not occur.

Also, I'm surprised that they brumate in Qld as the temps are much higher than in NSW.

ahh ok - cause some people said that they dont brumate if i just carry on the temps that im doing, and replicating the sun with my heat lamp on a timer. Others say that you should turn off heat mat and just use heat lamp during the day :S

i have a central netted dragon, will he burmate by himself? his now 1.5yrs,
Last winter i had a heat mat on all season to keep the temp up
so i turn the heat mat on this yr? or just decrease the amount of time ligths/ heat globe is on?

i think my beardies a brumating to they are only 2 months old tho and i dont think my smaller one will cope coz it is quite thin compared to the bigger one it hasnt eaten for a few days now and nanna naps most of the day i keep lights on till bout 8 pm with no heat through the night should i be trying to stop this behaviour coz of their age or should i just let it happen and hope they pull through??

i think my beardies a brumating to they are only 2 months old tho and i dont think my smaller one will cope coz it is quite thin compared to the bigger one it hasnt eaten for a few days now and nanna naps most of the day i keep lights on till bout 8 pm with no heat through the night should i be trying to stop this behaviour coz of their age or should i just let it happen and hope they pull through??

def too young to be going down.....try heating 24/7
i gave my beardies heat 24/7 through their first winter,they went off their food for about 2 weeks and then back to normal

they havent eaten in about 3 weeks at the moment,sleepin most of the time....

i havnt got a heat source for night only a basking light if i leave this on all night will it affect their ability to sleep?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back