Power bill

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The solar panel rebate ($8k) is means tested so those who can afford to install the panels dont get the rebate. Pretty stupid planning by the govt and no wonder no one is taking up the offer. If they removed the means test I would certainly fork out the $15k to install panels.

I just got solar panels, the only 2 requirements for the means test was you must be the rate payer (home owner) and not earn over $100,000 per year. So many people did get panels here in Victoria that they actually ended the rebate early with only a few hours notice.

I can't believe some of the electric bills you guys have, woah!

Do you all pay the 'estimated' bills? I'm sure it's our right to only pay what we use, has anyone gone to the energy ombudsman about it?

i signed up for solar panels on the weekend, $3,990 for 1.5kw with a 2.2kw inverter,...

i was hoping for 3kw, but most of the good roof space is facing the wrong way. :( bumma. :(

just to clarify, you dont get paid for sending electricity back into the grid, you get credit from your supplier. However, you would need a hell of a lot of solar panels to create more energy than you actually use, so its not particularly beneficial to most people)

actaully the way it was explained to me, was 1.5kw produces say 7kw a day, and u get 60c per kw, so if my usage is 21kw per day at 15c, then my bill is more than covered,....
for the people that get them in time, the feed in tarriff lasts till 2016, so the price of the solar panels will be covered a long time before then,...

Just got ours the other day - $1050. We exclusively use a clothes drier which may be contributing?

Originally Posted by CodeRed
geeze only 16 yrs to break even ... no thanks.

Such short-sightedness :(

not really. you should be able to turn that money into alot more than breaking even in 16 years with the right investments. :rolleyes: Even after the crash you'd be miles ahead if you had of invested in BHP (not the python) or the like 16 years ago....

Originally Posted by CodeRed
geeze only 16 yrs to break even ... no thanks.

not really. you should be able to turn that money into alot more than breaking even in 16 years with the right investments. :rolleyes: Even after the crash you'd be miles ahead if you had of invested in BHP (not the python) or the like 16 years ago....

Comparing investing in solar energy with investing in a mining company.... can anyone else see the irony here?!? :?

Ive just got mine..$1040, and im a single mum on the sole parent pension, this is not quiet a what i get a month. Dont know how im going to eat this month

My power bill turned up today....$353.00 for the quarter. Given the hot weather this past few months and my use of a 3.5 hp air condt. I was expecting more.

I have solar panels, off peak power and night rate power. Every little bit of reduction helps.

My 1KW solar system cost me $185., yes that's all $185. Got it under a Qld Gov. supply contract.
The 1KW system has to date produced an average of 4.87KW per day, which at 18.85 cents per KW equates to a saving of about $83. for the quarter.

Ive just got mine..$1040, and im a single mum on the sole parent pension, this is not quiet a what i get a month. Dont know how im going to eat this month

And next month. It might be time to look at reducing power consumption which will in turn reduce your bill. $1040 is a lot kilowatts. Perhaps an energy audit will show where the power is going.

At these prices it may be worthwhile in the long term to invest in a solar panel, then any extra energy you supply to the grid YOU get PAID for (my understanding of it) They're exy but not too bad compared to the bills some of you are getting O.O

solar panels dont generate much power

Got mine today and was shocked to see that it was $280!!! That's with four people, a whole room full of enclosures, air-con, etc etc

I'm definatly not complaining!

got mine the other day.
$701.40 for the quarter.
Thats not bad for a full snake room and 2 ceiling mounted A/c's running through the day as the wife was on school holidays.

Agl

Got our bill $277. So am very happy about that was expecting worse. They say it depends on your suburb which is shocking.

Got our bill $277. So am very happy about that was expecting worse. They say it depends on your suburb which is shocking.

$277 WOW! :shock: I wish!!!!! I average $800/q with no kids!! Lord help me if I ever have some!!

Yeh mine just came in at $745. Only have 1 A/C going at a time and 6 enclosures. Its rediculous our power bill has never been under $650 how do they justify this!

$290!!

woot woot!! :)

i hope its not a misprint!!!

Yeh mine just came in at $745. Only have 1 A/C going at a time and 6 enclosures. Its rediculous our power bill has never been under $650 how do they justify this!

Firstly - check how much you pay per kWh (kilowatt hour) - I pay around 17 cents.

Secondly - look at the big picture... 1 AC unit can be as small as 2.5kW or as big as 6kW (maybe larger)....

Now for 1 hour that's 2.5 x 17 cents - that's 43cents per hour... Now let's say you have it on for 5 hours a day.... That's $2.15 a day (there abouts).... How many days is your power bill? 90 days?

Well, there's $194 just in that alone...

I'm not suggesting that it's perfect... but that's the idea.

Then there's your hot water cylinder... your oven... your fridge... your freezers.... your big screen TV... Computers...

It all adds up - that's how they justify it :)

Comparing investing in solar energy with investing in a mining company.... can anyone else see the irony here?!? :?

LOL I just saw this... Blondie84 :) I'm sure you read the news and are quite educated thinking bhp is just a mining company :rolleyes: But incase you missed it BHP have been looking at building the WORLD's LARGEST SOLAR ENERGY plant with WP. The irony of it all!!!!! World of Solar Thermal.com | Solar Thermal News and Information - Mine giants Rio and BHP bet on solar power

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back