power failure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

neven

Reaction score
hey guys
i had a power failure the other day that went from about 10:00am to 8:30pm... my incubator temp dropped to about 14deg celcius, and i have over 40 eggs in there. any one no if this is going to harm them much?
nev

14!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT!!! u'll be lucky to get one egg hatching now. sorry to hear mate, what eggs did u have?

Why so pessimistic Liberated??? I wouldn't be at all suprised if they all hatch normally. High temperatures cause deformities quite often, but I think if low temperatures don't kill them they should develop fine. What species do you have in there? Some would tolerate it without any problem at all, others may be more sensitive, but I wouldn't write them off just yet.

yeh i do... soz forgot to add that in...
yeh i thought i would get most to hatch, as i also thought that only high temps cause deformities...
can i sue the power company if they all die? lol bcos ill loose about $1500 if they die...
nev

I agree with Sdaji, If they are lizard eggs you should be fine. I've had N. levis eggs drop down to about 16 degreesC during a power outage, and they all hatched with no deformities. I would'nt worry about the power outage if they are bearded eggs, they are as tough as nails.

Yes yes, if you'd said beardy eggs I'd have said "No worries, mate" :)

Neven,
As I said in another post, beardie eggs are tough as nails, I've had one clutch get up to 36 degrees once for about 8 hours, still hatched without any problems. I once had an incubator with lots of python and lizard eggs drop down to 19 degrees overnight, but everything still hatched without any problems. I am very interested to hear about the problems Liberated has had with cool temps though, how cool and how long did the temps drop to kill almost all of the eggs?

u'll be lucky to get one egg hatching now. sorry to hear mate, what eggs did u have?
p.s. even if one does hatch, it will be deformed

What makes you say this liberated?Seems like you have some experience on the matter,i too would like to know what probs you've had with cool temps and the hatching of deformities or no hatching at all?????

eggs don't have a constant temp in the wild, so i wouldn't be to conserned

I've had one clutch get up to 36 degrees once for about 8 hours, still hatched without any problems
Glad to here that splitmore. I had my incubator get to 37degrees for about the same time on that hot day we had not long ago. My wife forgot to open the air vent on the side to allow the heat to get out as I was away I didn't know until I got back and checked the min max temps. Luckily the eggs still look fine. Just have to wait and see. I have 140 eggs in there atm and don't fancy losing any.

I was pesamistic because even though i have never incubated, (maybe i shouldn't of been so quick to open my mouth) i have shared experiences with people that have had big temp variations and massive problems occured, there were deaths, deformities etc. i didn't know what he had in the incubator so i couldn't really of said with out knowing. sorry all.
cheers
pete

RE: Re: RE: power failure

He certainly is! Maybe we should change his username...? ;-)

Re: RE: power failure

Liberated said:
I was pesamistic because even though i have never incubated, (maybe i shouldn't of been so quick to open my mouth) i have shared experiences with people that have had big temp variations and massive problems occured, there were deaths, deformities etc. i didn't know what he had in the incubator so i couldn't really of said with out knowing. sorry all.
cheers
pete

Pete in the future, please do not give advice to people in Herp help if you do not have any experiance in related question. Wait till more experianced keepers answer the question.
Herp Help is serious forum for people in trouble, and they do not need to hear your opinion if you only guessing.
Thank you Peter.

Pete in the future, please do not give advice to people in Herp help if you do not have any experiance in related question. Wait till more experianced keepers answer the question.
Herp Help is serious forum for people in trouble, and they do not need to hear your opinion if you only guessing.
Thank you Peter.

Good advice, Slatey, however, I'd like to add a couple of other things, while personal experience is best, there are times when no one really knows or will answer, and sometimes it's okay to guess or report rumours that you've heard, as long as you very clearly point out that it's just what you've heard, or guessed based on whatever it is you've learned and point out that it could be wrong. If it's a case like this in which lots of people have experience, it's best not to say anything unless you're sure.

As Slatey is getting at, there's a heck of a lot of misinformation going around in our game, and we should all do our best not to add to it.

Not trying to have a go at anyone by the way, just ranting on.

Mabe my message sound to strong. I hope that Peter understand that I have good intention. :wink:

Yeah sure thing mate. no probs. i was just trying to help out the best i could. sorry all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back