Pregnant turtle found with limbs hacked off.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Miss B

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
What kind of sicko would do this? :evil:

THE DISCOVERY of the dismembered corpse of a large nesting sea turtle has sent shockwaves through a small coastal community.

The dead Flatback Turtle, which weighed more than 80kg, was found on a beach in Port Hedland, in Western Australia’s North West, on Friday.

Its front flippers were believed to have been hacked off and its neck was partially severed either during or after its murder.
It was also carrying eggs, leading experts to believe it was about to nest when it was attacked.

Local volunteers from the Care for Hedland Environmental Association (CHEA) came across the female’s corpse near nesting area for turtles.
The association said that there had already been 200 nests recorded nearby during this breeding season.

“We’ve never had one (turtle) butchered before,” CHEA chairperson Kelly Howlett said.

“There was plenty of blood, plenty of entrails (and) beverage bottles (around the corpse).”

Port Hedland’s mayor Stan Martin said that council rangers were horrified when they saw the turtle.

“The town rangers examined the turtle and were appalled to discover it lying on its back, with its front flippers missing and severe wounds to its throat,” Mr Martin said.

“This mindless behaviour is not acceptable. If we are to ensure the survival of sea turtles well into the future, action needs to be taken now to protect them at nesting sites and find the people responsible for this malicious act.”

Ms Howlett said that it was “really devastating to see what people are capable of doing to such a harmless creature”.

“Volunteers have been closely monitoring turtles for the past four nesting seasons and have never seen something so horrible done to a turtle,” Ms Howlett said.

“It was a shock to all of us… this type of behaviour is not to be endorsed.”

Police and the WA Department for Environment and Conservation are investigating the death.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22803230-29277,00.html

That is absolutely disgusting. It is apalling what people can do to try and look cool and probably an act of being drunk.

I hope these sick freaks get whats coming to them, and fast!

Disgusting. Whoever did that should... well... something bad should happen to them. Maybe they can be dumped 8 hours speadboat ride off the coast and see what it's like to be a turtle trying to find land. Grrrr!

I recon they should hav the same thing done to them, but SLOOOOWWWWWER and MORE painful!!!

I'm horrified that this has happened. Makes you wonder what someone hoped to achieve by hurting any gravid or pregnant creature. What a waste of an amazing reptile.

thats disgusting, some people should be shot in the knee caps and left in the desert to die,.... :(

thats so sad! how people do this to animals i will never no : (

bad karma will visit those responsible im sure,
you dont get any worse than hacking up a defencless turtle

That's absolutely disgusting! What kind of person/people could do that to an animal? It makes me ashamed to be human!

OMG, that was the exact same scenario at Fraser Island around 12 years ago. All of the limbs were neatly hacked off a Loggerhead turtle and the head had been slashed in a weak attempt to kill it. The turtle floated into shore where it was stuck on the beach at low tide in the hot sun.

Forgot to add, Most probably fishermen. I have photographs of turtles that have been thrown into a fire live, with hooks still in their mouths, Turtles tied to trees so they slowly starve or dehydrate as well as turtles that have had their heads hacked off with hooks still in their mouths. Makes me sick really that these ignorant redneck fishermen think that turtles prey on fish only and that it upsets them because they lost their bait or have to attach a new hook.

Last edited:
I am just itching for the day i come across lowlifes doing something like this to an animal. I will never tolerate cruelty to animals.

lets go on a rampage and get the "Oxygen Stealing C U NEXT THURSDAYS"!!!
:twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted:

Last edited:
Let's hope that what goes around comes around. Especially for the *naughty words* that did this. Its just absolutely sickening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back