Primary school teachers

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is it good for a year 3 teacher to experiment with hard illegal drugs?

• Yes its an idviduals choice what illegal drugs they choose to use

Votes: 18 14.5%
  • Primary school teachers shouldnt use hard drugs and should be setting a good example

Votes: 83 66.9%
  • who cares

Votes: 12 9.7%
  • using recreational drugs isnt a criminal offence, just litghten up

Votes: 11 8.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's not preach on a site where children are going to read this thread how user friendly and fun a drug like ecstacy is.

Please quote me where I even came close to promoting the use of ectasy or any drug like it and where I said it was fun. I think you'll find if you actually read any of my other posts on the topic I said that I do not advocate drug use.
I've never used it myself which you can also quote me as saying so how would I know whether or not it's fun?
And let me assert to you firmly I'm far from preaching ;)

I still don't know why we can't increase awareness,more help for addicts, and have better education facilities available to help people make informed decisions and leave the legality of the drugs as they are. Why do they have to be legal for all of the above to work? Surely increased education etc. AND leaving the substance illegal and less accessable is a better option? Maybe I am missing something after all.

To Dear junglist*

Firstly I must apologise to you. I am not reading all of your threads entirely through tiredness and sore eyes. But I will answer this - and treat it how you do.

Secondly - I can't justify my self destructive path - It appears I am set to detonate. Good luck then... :)

Thirdly - To me you seem socially inept so I will talk to you in as simple words as I possibly can so you can clearly see it and - if you're at all open minded, you might say that just a small possibility I might be right. But, I can't see you being open minded at all - you seem to set in your ways through what I have read. You certainly haven't changed my opinion of legalisation through arrogance, but you sure have made me think of how to treat your anti-social behaviour... I would suggest fighting fire with fire, but I can't lower myself to your level - it actually hurts my head to think down there.

I would consider myself open minded. I have been persuaded in earthling's ways - and even some of yours. But legalisation is not the way to go - and here, for the second time, and hopefully this time you read it, are the reasons why legalisation does NOT work....

1: Because it's too difficult to make people take all the consequences of their own actions. Again it will fall on society to make it 'better'. And society is out of band aids for drugs because they've had enough!

In other words – people who take drugs will still take them irresponsibly, the only difference is you’ve armed them with information that they haven’t listened to and will still do themselves more harm that good.

This may be a temporary issue, but it is one that will remain somehow through time.

When alcohol was made legal after prohibition, did you see people abusing alcohol?

No one accepts responsibility for what they do – it’s always someone else’s fault…

One man's taking of drugs (unless he's on an island totally by himself) will affect many others no matter if it is legal or not... Their children, their spouse, their neighbours, their immediate family, their employers, and just society in general... You can't control the actions of the individual, and education won't help the majority to make an informed choice - as I said earlier... Only the informed will make informed choices.

2: Just remember - Junglist* you may not see the future easily - what stands to reason (legalisation) does not always occur...

You foresee big drug lords coming down because they can no longer make a quick buck – seriously, are you going to give up your multi billion dollar business because of legalization? I doubt it somehow… Crime never pays, but when the money is this big, they’ll make it pay!

Amsterdam, where access to drugs is relatively unproblematic, is among the most violent and squalid cities in Europe.

Drug users will do anything they can to get their hands on the drugs… Are you going to make it free? Because most drug users still won’t be able to afford the price of marketed drugs which will be well and truly elevated anyhow. They will still commit crime, and that stat of 90% you uttered will not drop, and you can’t see that???

Now instead there will be a new breed of 'get rich quick' people to take on the new role of drug manufacturers - this doesn't solve a problem that already occurs without legalisation.

People who commit crimes to fund their drug addictions (needs/wants) will not vanish. Why would drugs become cheaper? You think by making it legal there will be some form of price establishment? Even if it was - those people will still commit crime to force feed their needs.

Junglist* this is but a start of the terror you will unleash by legalizing drugs... And if you can't see that - then your ability at open mindeness is as numb as a person with novacaine injected in their veins!

They're posts. Not threads. The thread is the whole topic "Primary school teachers"

Just in case you wanted to know.

:p
IsK

Thanks... I re-correct the first sentence of the previous said post - I am not reading all of your posts....

I am tired :(

But none the less - it's been a fantastic week and I can assure junglist* he's not right about this one... Waiting patiently for his return...

Stupid!
It could have killed the fool!
One of my friends died of an OD and found him! Its not good for every one and I would want to know what school this person works at so my kids stay away from people using drugs like that!

may be a few people like jungist need to go out withe the paramedics and police who end up having to deal with these people who as they or when they cant talk there mates tell you they only took the amount they normally take and its never made them like this befor.i am sick of dealing with them laying in there own vomit,spitting at me when iam called there to help them the abuse they give us,i cannot count how many times this has happened as its a weekly thing infact its getting worse,also so is the amount of deaths starting to rise and all by these people who keep saying i always take it and never been like this

may be a few people like jungist need to go out withe the paramedics and police who end up having to deal with these people who as they or when they cant talk there mates tell you they only took the amount they normally take and its never made them like this befor.i am sick of dealing with them laying in there own vomit,spitting at me when iam called there to help them the abuse they give us,i cannot count how many times this has happened as its a weekly thing infact its getting worse,also so is the amount of deaths starting to rise and all by these people who keep saying i always take it and never been like this

Sounds like a lot of impurities are finding their way into their drug of choice.
Illegal drugs purity cannot be controlled.
Prescription drugs purity can be controlled.

I'm gonna make one comment and then i'll try to stay out of this thread.

You can not compare two different drugs.

The effect heroin has on a person and their mind and body is completely to the effect ecstacy or cigarettes or ice has. There is NO COMPARISON.

I have had both good and bad experiences with drugs, the worse one probably being waking up in some strange girls bed not knowing where i was lol. Seriously though i have had experiences from having the time of my life right through to having a psychosis that lasted two weeks and would you beleive that drug was administered by a doctor.

The point i am making is that all drugs have some kind of negative effect, nothing comes for free. My personal beleif is that an individual should be given enough information to make an informed choice on what they want to do with their own body. That means being told about the good aspects and the bad aspects and why these things are good or bad.

think some of them get that used to taking it they have to take more to get there high. most of them are that far off there heads they dont know what they are doing,but once they spit its off to court for assault,i dont care who it is i have a family i go home to and dont need that or the risk of getting some diseases

Yes, but the status quo is not working, so will we really be any worse off?? Could the situation get any worse than it is now???
Who knows?? That's the whole point.

This part buck, this is where you argument is fallacious. If the current approach is not working, then something else needs to be done. It may not work, but if it diminishes the harm to the community as a whole, ie lower b/e rates, assaults muggings etc, then we as a society will be better off. Not to mention the increased funding levels for hospitals etc, which i dare say would actually increase the standard of living for the community as a whole.

The evidence is right in front of you. Ive never witnessed drunks on the street harrassing people for their next drink. But again, you miss the point. The harm someone does to themselves is no concern of the government. It is when that harm is done to society as a whole that the controller of that society - the government - should become involved to mitigate that harm
WRONG!!! harm done to ones self is of concern to the government. Why are doctors in public hospitals refusing to operate on cancer patients who refuse to stop smoking? YOU CRIPPLE YOUR ARGUMENT FOOL. It is no concern of the government, and the very fct that doctors are refusing to operate on these people is direct evidence of that. Were it their concern, the operations would be performed.
How can people committing crime to feed their alcohol addiction not harm society? I'm starting to think that you may have missed the point.
Noone commits crime to feed an alcohol addiction. I have never met one person who would rob, steal or violate for the next drink. If you're that hard up, i guarantee that someone will buy you a drink in a pub if you ask politely. It is not me who has missed the point, you are willfully looking the other way in an intentional attempt to evade the real crux of the issue.

Yes, i think that addiction levels would go down dramatically were substances made legal. You are merely making the mistake of classing use as abuse. Now considering that Australia was just found to have the 4th lowest smoking rate in the developed world, the addiction rate does not seem as though it would be crippling to the country.
No I am not mistakingly classing use as abuse. How many of these people who are addicted to cigerettes would still be addicted if it were not so readily available? Doesn't it make sense that when you make something that is addictive easily accessible more people will become addicted? You have just crippled your own argument!!!

Actually no, the evidence does not support your argument here. Making something more accessible (correct spelling observe) does not necessarily make it more desirable, nor more of a challenge to obtain. In fact, looking at the issue with teen angst in mind, the ability to obtain something without being perceived as a rebel, and cool, makes something far less desirable to obtain. If something no longer has the stigma of being illicit, open and frank discussion can be held about it, and i dont believe you have to be a neurosurgeon to understand this point, it is really the lies and mis truths provided to kids, and the low level of information provided in schools and by governmental organisations about illicit drugs that creates curiosity about them. Curiosity, and the fact that there are so many people in society who use drugs with no deleterious effects that if information A is provided by the government, and the child knows person B who provides conflicting information about the substance, even a kid with a mild distrust of authority will be leaning towards ignoring everything the government and authority figure says about the drug in question. This is ultimately harmful to the health of that individual because they do not listen to the harm minimisation messages that are provided by the drug education organisations.

Removing something to which people are addicted only serves to create a black market driven by free market supply and demand. If people want it, then people will get it, this is the major part of the whole situation you refuse to admit.

Your point about smokers has just crippled your own argument and made a point for the side i am on. Yes smoking is so obviously bad, yet people continue to choose to do it. We know it is bad for our health, but the practice continues, and is being taken up by younger generations. No matter how much older generations preach something, younger ones must find out for themselves about the best course of action. Would it not be better for those younger generations who WILL try and experiment with drugs, if we have full education, and no stigma which goes along with drug addiction so that they can get help and not fall into a cycle of criminality. Would it not be better if we said that these drugs are harmful to your health. BUT if you must take them, here is the best way to mitigate the problems associated with them. Would it not be better to know what is in that tablet or powder, to know that even ify our kid is doing drugs, at least its only the drug contained, not some random binder and filler?? not some washing detergent?
Why do so many people continue to try smoking? Because it is a legal substance. If it were illegal many people would stay clear of it for fear of breaking the law. Yes some people will try drugs regardless of it's legality but by making them legal more are going to try. I also feel that part of what keeps some people away from certain drugs IS the unknown factor. It most certainly was for myself. I would love to see some stats that show the percentage of the population addicted to legal drugs and the percentage addicted to illegal drugs. I think I know which would be greater.[/quote]

No, people continue to try smoking because it is a learnt habit. They see people they know doing it, they feel rebellious for doing something they are told not to do. I think you ignore the fact that for anyone under the age of eighteen, smoking is still illegal, so you have just shot your argument in the foot. Its not because its legal, and the fact the smoking rates have dropped, while the substance is still legal shows that you argument about people taking up the habit merely because its legal is ludicrous. Actually the evidence from Amsterdam points towards less people being inclined to try something just because it is legal/decriminalised, but even if they do choose to try something, the have less chance of being a habitual user, because life continues outside of the drugs. The fact that it can be obtained with little hassle, and no interaction with criminal elements means that there is generally less chance of becoming involved in a lifestyle which is soley revolving around drugs.

You point about people addicted to legal drugs/illegal drugs is spurious simply because you cannot compare the addiction levels of legal drugs to illegal drugs, because not all are addictive, and not all act in the same fashion.

Take alcohol for example, the vast majority of society is behaviourally addicted to this substance. Nicotine is one of the MOST ADDICTIVE drugs that our species has ever discovered, and to attempt to compare a nicotine addiction to MDMA (WHICH IS NOT ADDICTIVE AT ALL) on that basis is about as smart as trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. Marijuana is NOT physically addictive, but it can be habit forming. Heroin is phenomenally addictive, yet pales in comparison to nicotine.

Alcohol is the only drug that we know of that if you are addicted, and try to go cold turkey will kill you long before you ever break the addiction.

Drug use is not a problem, IT IS ADDICTION OF ALL KINDS WHICH ARE THE PROBLEM. Alcohol, Tobacco, Poker machines, Horses, Dogs, Cards, Driving too fast, Risk taking behaviour, Unprotected sex, there are many sorts of addictions which we as a species seem to be prone to, yet it is not those activities themselves which are wholly detrimental to our health and well being, but an addiction to any one of those activities is that which causes damage to the individual, yet the individual will not stop.

IF there were adequate addiction treatment facilities for addictions of all kinds, with the addictions being treated as the medical problems they are, then that would be beneficial to our society. A tthe moment, we send drug users away whose lives can still be turned around to become productive and valuable members of our society, yet we choose to lock the away in prisons with hardened criminals to become institutionalised and indictrinated into a life of crime.

Surely even someone as closed minded as you buck, can see that the current approach is doing more harm than good, and even if - and using a blanket statement like - it works to reduce even a quarter of the harm being done to the communtiy as a whole, THIS IS STILL FAR BETTER THAN THE STATUS QUO, whereby we see addictions and violence related to addiction continuing to rise.

I make specialnote that asof yet juglist* you'venotbeen able to answer my above post.

Junglist* many of us agree that at the moment we're doing more harm than good - that doesn't seem to be the main issue - the main issue here is changing our current approach to SAVE hundreds if not thousands of lives. And the best place to start is at home, then at schools, then in public.

My above post references some of the dangers of legalisation - Although not infallible - I don't think legalisation is the way - I seriously doubt that you can assume crime will drop.

The biggest stat to drop will be from drug users not being arrested for possession!

Anyhow...No need to repeat eveything - Cause I know you're wrong :p

How many of these people who are addicted to cigerettes would still be addicted if it were not so readily available?
I just wanted to mention that cigarettes used to be a LOT cheaper.. but that doesn't stop people from smoking, they just pay more to get it.
Whether they get their money from getting a better job, or by taking it from others.. :?

*walks away*
-penny

I make specialnote that asof yet juglist* you'venotbeen able to answer my above post.

Junglist* many of us agree that at the moment we're doing more harm than good - that doesn't seem to be the main issue - the main issue here is changing our current approach to SAVE hundreds if not thousands of lives. And the best place to start is at home, then at schools, then in public.

My above post references some of the dangers of legalisation - Although not infallible - I don't think legalisation is the way - I seriously doubt that you can assume crime will drop.

The biggest stat to drop will be from drug users not being arrested for possession!

Anyhow...No need to repeat eveything - Cause I know you're wrong :p

Slimy, you've sufficiently shown how neolithic you are in your approach to this. The issue is nNOT about saving lives, but reducing the harm done to the community as a whole, if this has a roll on effect to saving lives then so be it, but again, just because you are so inept at comprehension - YOUR APPROACH IS ALL CUDDLY FURRY ANIMALS AND NO SUBSTANCE.

The ONLY place to start is the removal of the legislation which governs the illegality of the substances because prohibition has ALWAYS done more harm than good in the long term.

You make concrete statement about what will be the result, but quite frankly have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA ABOUT THE REAL WORLD. I dont know if there is an organisation like the wayside chapel in NZ, but if you're ever in australia take a visit and see just how bad the situation is, and how it can be made better. The necessary response is NOT to shove it under the carpet and act like the status quo is working.

You've got no idea, and to just say that there are dangers in legislation is moronic at best. Legislation does not mean one thing, with the total disregard of others, it merely means that a better way can and should be found, and the archaic laws (also known as legislation funnily enough) which are in effect today would be rescinded.

What on earth do you mean. The current approach has been at home in schools and in public to make statments trying to imply that DRUGS ARE BAD OK. IT HAS NOT WORKED, and your statement shows that you are devoid of original or valid ideas about the best way to tackle the situation. I assure you that deluding yourself that everything is happy and smiley and that things can be changed simply by happy smiley approaches.

You cement my point that i have been making here, as you use it foolishly to back up your own point of view the main issue here is changing our current approach.

Yes, what you fail to understand though is that the major issues with illicit drug deaths on the streets or in homes etc, have nothing to do with the drug itself, BUT THE IMPURITIES IN THE SAMPLES. The only way to combat this is to regulate the manufacture and quality of these drugs - and to provide treatment and counseling at the point of sale.

How on earth can you think this. If artificially high prices are a function of the black market sale then to remove the black market factor, the consequential drop in price can have no effect other than to reduce the amount of money needed to support a habit - THIS MEANS THAT LESS CRIME WILL NEED TO BE COMMITTED BY THE SAME SMALL POPULATION OF HEAVILY ADDICTED DRUG ABUSERS.

Add to this the corruption of police factor in the whole argument, and the only solution becomes so much clearer. The last 4 police royal commissions have highlighted that drug prohibition has been the driving force behind, and the major cause of police corruption. Surely although the health tolls of prohibition, and the general cost to the community (taxes going to support police targeting users - an un-winnable battle; but also the cost of insurance premiums due to higher claim rates because of B/E; the cost of health care due to impurities in the smaples) of keeping these substances illegal are massive, most of you refuse to admit that the "war on drugs" is fallacious and unwinnable; The corruption of what should be the shining beacon of honesty and ethical behaviour - the police force - is the straw which breaks the camel's back on the issue of prohibition.

As to the people who claim that legalising the substances wont stop people becoming addicted, and that when alcohol was legalised many people abused it - this disregards the fact that people were already abusing them even when they were illegal, and the the act of prohibiting them is for appearances only, because it is unpolicable. Yes people will continue to abuse them, but people were already abusing them, and if the abuse can be mitigated, then use is no problem, for it is not drug use which is the problem, but irresponsible drug abuse.

Slimy, you may think that you're correct, but if you could sell me tickets to whatever trip you've been on that has led you to think this way, i'll buy one, your version of reality is so twisted, it'd be funny to see just how you actually perceive the world..

The worst part of this whole scenario is that i have had far better arguments, with far more substantive support with mentally retarded donkeys than i have with you slimy.

The worst part of this whole scenario is that i have had far better arguments, with far more substantive support with mentally retarded donkeys than i have with you slimy.

If you are argueing with such animals with such detailed ranting perhaps you should lay off the gear mate ;)

If you are argueing with such animals with such detailed ranting perhaps you should lay off the gear mate ;)

lol.

funny thing is i dont take drugs on a regular basis at all. I have done in the past, and if an opportunity arises again i may.

But i love the implications made in every argument on this topic, that if i feel that way i must be a drug fiend to think the way i do.

So far, the funiest thing of all i slimy calling me closed minded (i can see you're joking here cris)

I think, after 18 pages, everybody has had a chance to express their views. Discussion has left the original topic.

This thread is now closed.

:p

Hix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back