Primitive?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cement

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how the scientists come to understand that rear fanged snakes are more primitive in their evolution compared to the front fanged elapids.
Is it because their venom is a less complicated molecular substance?

Yeah good point, but rear fangs have more leverage and can apply more pressure which would in my uneducated mind be better for digestive purposes, by getting the venom deeper.

but on the other hand the snake is putting its self at a greater risk as it has to really get its mouth around the prey where an elapid really only has to tap its prey for venom delivery

My guess would be because front fanged snakes evolved from colubrids. Not sure if that is right just a guess from your first post.

It would most likely be because rear fanged snakes diverged to form its own "group" earlier in time than front fanged snakes.

Yeah good point, but rear fangs have more leverage and can apply more pressure which would in my uneducated mind be better for digestive purposes, by getting the venom deeper.

the venom kills the pray not help in the digestive stage

the venom kills the pray not help in the digestive stage

That isnt actually true, for australian elapids it hasnt been proven to have any effect but with other types of snakes it does have a considerable effect. It depends on the type of venom.

Maybe the fossil record showed rear fanged snakes appeared before their front fanged counterparts? Just a guess.

I have wondered about the fossil evidence as well, anyone got any books written about this subject?. I want to know the scientific reason for thinking this.
I have also contemplated the spurs on the diamonds and others being remnants of the rear legs.
If pythons are the more basic model, then by the time colubrids and elapids came along they streamlined and got better at killing efficiently. This probably means that venoms will keep getting stronger, if allowed to evolve over time.
Does this make the inland Taipan the most evolved snake in history?

Nothing wrong with being primitive just means they got it right earlier, look at the croc:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back