Probing

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dobermanmick

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Okay guys
Probing is something i need to learn,How did everyone here learn ,and what types of problems can an incorrect method cause ? :?

Mick,

Get someone experienced to show you, and then practice in their presence, a road kill isn't much like a live moving, wriggling snake.
Get some one on one advice and also a probing depth guide, if you haven't got one let me know.

Neil

Thanks Neil ,

I think i have got the probing depth in pythons of Australia .

How do you know the correct size probe to use ?

It's something you need to be shown. It can't really be learnt from a book. Incorrect probing can cause damage to the snake which obviously you don't want to happen.

Roadkill isn't much like a live moving snake (although it does writhe around, sometimes for more than an hour after it has died) but I still think it's the best way to probe your first few. One obvious bonus is that you don't need any regard for the wellbeing of the specimen and you can deliberately use enough force to cause damage and get a feel for how much force that is.

So the poor snake has been run over, it's dying slowly, and what does Sdaji do, he probes the poor bugger! Your just cruel ! LOL!

So the poor snake has been run over, it's dying slowly, and what does Sdaji do, he probes the poor bugger! Your just cruel

If I come upon a dying snake which is in pain, the first thing I'll do is kill it, not probe it. I don't often probe roadkill anymore, if I do it's to check the sex, not practise.

Sorry Neil but starting on dead snakes even if they dont wiggle is better than having a novice neutur his or her snakes just to get a bit of experience. Its a good place to start so I surprised that you discount it.

Hi Gregory,
I went to your link and read it and probing is awful... I couldnt do it.. what if you pushed too hard and it came out the end of the tail.. that is something I will leave to guys who know what they are doing.

Thanks guys
I wasnt thinking of starting till i was sure what i was doing and i would like to be shown how to do it properly as well before i started .

And dont worry about me I havent got any probes yet :wink:
Cheers mick

It's not that bad, just remember: if you aint sure, don't push. It requires absolute minimal pressure.

And dont worry about me I havent got any probes yet
Cheers mick

Don't worry, you can use sticks and stuff. Knitting needles work well, sewing needles are okay if you can't find anything else ;)

Hmm... better point out that I'm joking on the remote chance that some freak doesn't realise.

Just
Joking.

Great link greg it dosent seem difficult just have to know the correct procedure to prevent injury

It is a shame i have to find dead snakes to practice on :(

Re: RE: Probing

Sdaji said:
And dont worry about me I havent got any probes yet
Cheers mick

Don't worry, you can use sticks and stuff. Knitting needles work well, sewing needles are okay if you can't find anything else ;)

Hmm... better point out that I'm joking on the remote chance that some freak doesn't realise.

Just
Joking.

I have a baseball bat what size snake can i use that on ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back