Problem with steaming click clack

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MontyTheBredl

Reaction score
hey, i have a serious problem with my 2 litre click clack 'steaming'. :evil: water makes the sides all wet and the whole tank soggy. It has about 15 holes in the top and one side. Any ideas? It never steams around the air holes so should i just add a heap around the water bowl. I have the tank sitting in the lizard tank. the click clack sits at around 32 degrees. It has a childrens python in it.

You'll need to revisit the air circulation method employed for the tub. Holes on one side of the lid should correspond to holes on the opposite side of the tub so that the air flows through the lid and out the side. You may need to place the tub outside of the lizard cage on its own heat source as air flow in the cage will be limited. If you still have high humidity problems cut a hole in the lid and replace it with soft mesh and non toxic glue.

We have one row of air holes at the back of the lid (where the warmth is) and about 6 rows of holes at the front of the lid. Plus 1 row of holes at the front of the tub.
Only steams up if they defecate.

Constant 32 or it has a cool end too?? If it is constant 32 throughout, there will be a lack of airflow due to no convection

It's very simple, no need to complicate things. How much condensation ('steam') you get depends on the amount of ventilation in your container, the humidity in the room, and the amount of air flow.

If you're getting too much condensation, you don't have enough ventilation, so add more.

I had the same issue ages ago tho did as Ozzie said.

You can't go wrong with cutting out a section of the lid and putting a mesh in instead. You can use super glue (but be sure to let it dry). I super glued mine then stuck ducktap over the glue areas. Did the job!

Rather than super glue, use a soldiering iron (u can buy cheap at hardware stores) and melt the screeen into the plastic. Works a treat!!

You can't go wrong with cutting out a section of the lid and putting a mesh in instead. You can use super glue (but be sure to let it dry). I super glued mine then stuck ducktap over the glue areas. Did the job!
no need to do any of that - as sdaji said it just needs a some more holes . btw any tape and snakes dont mix .

I use the soldering iron and flyscreen trick. Best trick I ever learned in terms of keeping insects and reptiles! Most people seem to prefer holes, good luck to them :) Both have pros and cons.

I totally, whole heartedly, absolutely agree with avoiding any sort of adhesive tape, especially duct tape. I've never used it myself (I learned from someone else's mistake over 15 years ago), but I've seen quite a few snakes killed or badly injured by tape over the years. I'd keep tape far, far away from your snake enclosures, and certainly not as part of one. Sooner or later the adhesion on the tape will wear out enough for the snake to push through, the tape will adhere to the snake's skin, and it will end in tears. Duct tape sticks to snake skin much better than to plastic tubs.

no need to do any of that - as sdaji said it just needs a some more holes . btw any tape and snakes dont mix .

Def agree with snake an tape left my reptile enclosure box out the front for 2 days woke up to some screaming (was on night shift) a little baby redbelly went in (must of been nice and warm) (Also being a reptile box he though why not)
He was stuck on the tape so he wasn't going anywhere any time soon, couldn't get him off, The special neighbours dad kicked the box eventually it dropped out I was hoping it would bite him. At least it got away, Couldn't tell the idiot the leave it alone.

Not sure how big/hot your heat mat is but it can depend on where your water is.

I only had a row of holes on each side of the enclosure about half an inch below the lid. I sat the water bowl to the side of the heat mat and the only time I had a problem with condensation was when the snake pooped. then I took the lid off wiped everything down, cleaned out the enclosure and all was good until next poop.

Good luck

In regards to the tape I didn't slap it on, It went around the edges to ensure there were no sharp bits of glue or anything sticking from the mesh. plus if you stick ducktape down properly it should just peel back. Cutting it neatly etc etc helps all this. But each to their own, I can' completely understand why most wouldn't use tape...it can be nasty!

Be incredibly careful using any sort of tape around snakes.....they can get horrible injuries from it...and somehow they always seem to find it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back