Protruding scales or what??? :O

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Antonio_Esposito

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Olive Python, Protruding scales or what??? :O

Hi guys i got my olive python at the victorian herp expo and have had her for about 3 weeks she is very, very placid and only coped a few bites from her in the first 3 days she is totally relaxed with everyone even the dog. She was born in january and had 2 successful feeds with live mice while in the care of the breeder but as i am using F/T mice it was a challenge to get her eating. I bought her smaller mice and gave her 3 and she ate those fine, this was on friday. I handled her yesterday and today and i can see these scales protruding looks like there is more everyday. Also her nose seems to be a faded colour. If u could check out the pics and tell me what u think that would be greatly appreciated. Do you think she is coming up to a shed. Also i don't think they are mites as i never see black bugs crawling around or any bugs at all for that matter, i cant lift up these scales too i can towards the bottom of her but on the top the scales do not move.
IMG_1313.jpgIMG_1314.jpg

IMG_1308.jpgIMG_1309.jpgIMG_1310.jpgIMG_1311.jpg
This is her sitting around as you can see she looks healthy:
IMG_1305.jpg
All Help is greatly appreciated! :D

Thanks, Antonio.

Last edited:
Im far from being an expert, however, maybe scale damage from a previous shed, or if you are certain there are no mites, maybe worms (ive heard worms caused raised scales like this also) Anyway, just giving u a B.U.M.P so hopefully someone with more knowledge can offer their opinion. Goodluck & congrats on your purchase!

Do you know where she's from originally? Wouldn't be NT by any chance?

The discoloured scales on the nose are most likely from rubbing the cage furnishings or glass etc.

As for the bumps I don't have a clue?? Have you contacted the breeder? I remember seeing someone with a few young olives...... Hope it's ok.

As someone else has said, lumps like that I have seen caused by worms, but on such a young snake?

if it was a tiger snake or a copperhead i would say worms mainly from eating frogs.

im pretty sure some mites live under the scales of snakes, you should probobly get them checked out by a vet or something but i would say mites..

Im far from being an expert, however, maybe scale damage from a previous shed, or if you are certain there are no mites, maybe worms (ive heard worms caused raised scales like this also) Anyway, just giving u a B.U.M.P so hopefully someone with more knowledge can offer their opinion. Goodluck & congrats on your purchase!
Hi Bel thanks for the prompt reply. I don't think she has worms i have read about worms and they don't seem to fit the description the only thing i have heard that causes the raised scales is mites i have never heard of worms being able to raise the scale. She is a very active when she is taken out of her enclosure she loves to go under my clothes and rest on my back. She is not sluggish in any way and that is what worms usually do. I do have a mite spray but there is little use mite spraying her if i have to put her back into the enclosure so i might do it on the weekend. She never is in her water bowl and she is a very very placid snake and has shown no signs of aggression even around food.

Do you know where she's from originally? Wouldn't be NT by any chance?
I think she is from Queensland, why do you ask?

The discoloured scales on the nose are most likely from rubbing the cage furnishings or glass etc.

As for the bumps I don't have a clue?? Have you contacted the breeder? I remember seeing someone with a few young olives...... Hope it's ok.

As someone else has said, lumps like that I have seen caused by worms, but on such a young snake?

I have not contacted the breeder and i think its mainly from her moving a lot and maybe the substrate or even maybe coming to a shed could that be possible?

Last edited:
If she doesn't appear to be in pain or discomfort and is coming up to a shed. Perhaps just see what happens after she has shed. If they are still there then look at taking her to the vet.

Scales will also raise like that if they've pulled themselves backwards through something (ie, a hide).

If she doesn't appear to be in pain or discomfort and is coming up to a shed. Perhaps just see what happens after she has shed. If they are still there then look at taking her to the vet.
Hi i was going to to that but as i went to check on her it looks like a scale is missing on her head it looks like a rounded cut and i out her in luke warm water to try see if she had mights but when i took her out after about a min or 2 she was making a squeaking sound and opened her mouth up wide just once what is this? There were no mites that came p in the water.

Scales will also raise like that if they've pulled themselves backwards through something (ie, a hide).
Thats what i was thinking, could you please take a look at my response to ryant and tell me what you think about that?

Last edited:
Odds are she had water in her throat or mouth and she was trying to clear it. Do you have a decent photo of the cut? She could have damage the scale while rubbing or if she's coming up for a shed. If it is a cut you could put some betadine on it and it should clear up when she sheds next.

Okay this sounds like deja vu. Have a look through my old started threads and look at the pictures. what happened is my carpet kept rubbing his nose against Astro turf and created a sore on his head that looked like basically a cigarette burn. I just applied betadine twice daily and after a couple sheds it was perfectly fine. Remove abrasive items and administer betadine and if it is the same problem it should fix itself.

Odds are she had water in her throat or mouth and she was trying to clear it. Do you have a decent photo of the cut? She could have damage the scale while rubbing or if she's coming up for a shed. If it is a cut you could put some betadine on it and it should clear up when she sheds next.
Hi, i just took her to the vet yesterday she said she had no mites but she could of previously had then when in the breeders care and those irritated scales are popping up because she is coming close to a shed. Anyway i have been told to wait until her next shed and then let the vet know if its gone or not. The dried nose is just a little skin left from the last said so it should come off next shed. Thanks for all your help guys. I am also going to clean out the cage on tuesday as i cant move her because she has had her meal, and i am going to put the mite spray on the cage and its contents and then the snake, and replace the substrate, prevention is better than a cure hey!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back