pygmy python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dangermouse

Not so new Member
Reaction score
i am wondering if there is anyone who keeps the pigmy python (antaresia perthensis)
or is breeding them
have not seen much posted or descust about them (or have i not found the right thred )
any info would be good
thanx

They are around, though not in huge numbers, they also aren't explosive breeders so you won't see many advertised, as most hard to get herps are snavelled up by pesky mates or used for swapping tools. Whilst they do have that "hard to get in captivity" enigma, and arn't that bad looking, they are nothing compaired to a good stimmy or caramel childrens.

thanks

They are around, though not in huge numbers, they also aren't explosive breeders so you won't see many advertised, as most hard to get herps are snavelled up by pesky mates or used for swapping tools. Whilst they do have that "hard to get in captivity" enigma, and arn't that bad looking, they are nothing compaired to a good stimmy or caramel childrens.
yes stimmy are very nice they are on my list should have one soon:)
but the i like the pygme
i like all of the childrens group
thanx for info will keep eye out

u do know there not cheap to buy around $1000 or more an animal.

i think more like $3000 an animal, and they only have 4-6 per clutch. there were some photos of some hatchies on here about two months ago, so some are being bred this year.

A mate of mine bougth a pair for $3000. No way will they go for $3000 each

iceman, I wasnt disagreeing with you. Last season (or was it the seaon before) I saw hatchies advertised at $1600 each. Albino posted above saying they were $3000 each.

Can someone please post some pics as im a little bit curious about what they look like. Also, what size do they generally grow to?

I would also like to know what is the smallest size for a normal childrens python... I have always suspected that I may infact have a pygmy python as one of my fully grown 4 yo childreni is very very small. (compared to my others and others i have seen)
I have always been unable to confirm this

G'day Tracey,

It would be very easy to identify if you did have a Pygmy Python amongst your collection, as I believe they have a far lower mid-body scale count than the other 3 species of Antaresia.

I would also like to know what is the smallest size for a normal childrens python... I have always suspected that I may infact have a pygmy python as one of my fully grown 4 yo childreni is very very small. (compared to my others and others i have seen)
I have always been unable to confirm this

I would suspect its just a small childrens, snakes can sometime just be small. i used to have a cape york mac that was well under a meter about 1/3 the size of a normal one(by weight).

G'day Tracey,

It would be very easy to identify if you did have a Pygmy Python amongst your collection, as I believe they have a far lower mid-body scale count than the other 3 species of Antaresia.

Hahhaa thanks jonno but that actually doesnt help me at all im not all that great at identifying these things, if i have a decent enough pic i will email it to you.... but then maybe i just have a dwarf childreni.....

A mate of mine bougth a pair for $3000. No way will they go for $3000 each

actually my mate did pay $3000 each, and there was a lot of demand for them when he bought them. i'll qualify this by acknowledging that his were adults not hatchlings. and judging by the look of hatchlings, you'd have to be careful when sexing them.

thanx ever one for info they sound expencive will put them on later list
so they are out there good i have a pix from book but have only seen one pix dose eny body have pix
i will have to keep eye out in the for sale section to see if they pop up
if some one is breeing them u can send me PM will keep it hush hush ..lol

Perthensis

Well I am not in OZ so I cannot say about price or availability but I can provide a picture. They are simple to care for just like the rest of the Antaresia complex. I have not yet bred them but my inquiries with those who have, all say they are very easy but they babies can be hard to get started. They are a great little python to work with for sure.

Ryan Young

Pygmyh1.jpg

iceman, I wasnt disagreeing with you. Last season (or was it the seaon before) I saw hatchies advertised at $1600 each. Albino posted above saying they were $3000 each.

If people want them, and there aren't many around, people can charge what they like.
In saying that I thought they were about $1500 each.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back