pygmy pythons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bensen

Not so new Member
Reaction score
just listing some stats which may be helpful to other breeders.

incubation times : 52 days @ 28.5 deg.C
49 days @ 31.5 deg.C
first shed is usually @ 9 days
first feed @ 1 day after first shed, first 3 feeds are newborn mice, then can be 2or3 day old mice.
do not feed before first shed, even though they will take it as the skin roll will get stuck on they bulge and as the snake grows rapidly, it can form like a belt.

make sure that their enclosure is escape proof.

lovely snakes, they don't bite.

Attachments

• IMG_1487.jpg
    IMG_1487.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_1506.jpg
    IMG_1506.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_1513.jpg
    IMG_1513.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 115
My dream snake to own.

Have heard that they start feeding with no problems?? Is that true??

What are their natures like?

Last edited by a moderator:
they weigh around 3 grammes from memory, i will weigh next lot due to hatch in a fortnight on the day they hatch for you and give you accurate weights.

My dream snake to won.

Have heard that they start feeding with no problems?? Is that true??

What are their natures like?

they are voracious feeders, and consume their food quickly - they get it down faster than just about any other snake. they remind me of a bts, their jaws just crawl over their food.

as i said, they never bite. their only drawback is their low clutch size, usually only about 3-5, but i think SR had one lay 9, and experienced breeders in the US, say that clutch sizes increase with the female's age

Last edited:
So from the 3 degrees different theres only 3 days apart,very interesting..Considering most hatchy Greens are 8-12gram and those are around 3 grams that is so tiny...Great info Benson...MARK

love that first pic!

3 grams in absolutely tiny! wow.....what do they weigh as adults?

Cheers,
Dave

i haven't weighed the adults, but they would be comparable weights at 45-60cm to the same sized stimmie. a recent large feed would make that vary a bit as well!

the females do lose a fair bit of weight when they lay,as they are quite big eggs for a 45cm snake to lay, so it takes about 3 or 4 feeds to get the hollow out of their belly after egg laying.

Have you found a significantly larger number of males or females from this temp. With crocs it is said that temperature can control the sex of the hatchlings just wondering if it is similar with snakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back