Python getting too hot!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarlosTheSnake

Reaction score
hey all, the last day or two ive noticed carlos has either been stretched out across his enclosure or up against the glass sides/roof. Im taking this as a sign of him getting too hot. how can i cool him down? thanks

Hey, what are the temperatures at now? And I'm assuming your using a thermostat? If so, I recommend turning the temps down 1-3 degrees to see if that changes his behaviour :)

Make sure you have a water dish that's big enough for him to have a swim in, if he is dipping himself regularly then yeah turn temps down a degree or two, mine has taken to hanging out in a big hanging plant basket at the top of his cage to get away from the heat with this hotter weather.

since carlos is still only ~40cm long, hes in an enclosure that is 20x30x16cm. This doesnt allow a lot of room for a large water bowl. he can drink from it, but its not big enough for him to bathe in. should i get a larger enclosure?

I put mine in 90x45x60 when he was 40cm, just make sure plenty of cover, I've got loads of fake plants, warm and cold hide, and hanging basket fake plant from roof and he climbs around everywhere, as he gets older I'll take some out as the fake vine plants won't hold his weight and he'll need more open space, but yeah so long as you give them heaps of areas to hide should be fine.
Mine has big corner water bowl that he can swim in and will be able to swim in even with an adult, picked corner stone one as takes up least floor space while giving most swimming room.

Is he moving around or just lying still? and do you know what temperature the enclosure is? It is recommended to have a cool and a warm end so the snake can choose for itself where it needs to be.
"Children's and spotted pythons require a basking spot maintained between 32-35˚C and a cool end of 22-26˚C during the day".
It may be a good idea to start to thinking about a larger enclosure as he will grow and as long as there are enough hiding spots small snakes do fine in larger enclosures and it may allow you to create a better temperature gradient

Back