python help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ratsnakeroger

Not so new Member
Reaction score
HI all I have two coastals about two years old that have eaten mice for there entire life they are at a size that I would like to get them eating rats but they just won't budge they grab the rats(not a strike that they give when feeding with mice) but will not swallow I have tried them eating a mouse and then offering a fresh dead rat straight after without success I do not feed these snakes live mice or rats and would rather not can everyone please give me some ideas on other techniques can be used for a situation like this
thanks all Roger

I had a coastal with that problem (she's now onto rats though which is great!), when exactly did you offer the rat? - When I offered a rat to mine she still had the tail of the mouse sticking out of her mouth, she took that with on problems and next time I had to feed her, I put the dead rat into some old mice wood shavings for a minute or too before offering to the snake. Other things I've heard but havn't tried, - putting a mouse's tail in the the dead rat's mouth when offering it to the snake, put a few drops of mice blood onto the rat. all I kind think of at the moment - it's late!

I'm only new to herpland, so forgive me if this turns out to be one of those things we should never ever do, but I found that defrosting mice and a rat in the same bucket helped to blend the smells. The snake would then take either.

I had that problem with a 5-6ft diamond a couple years ago, it would only eat live or fresh killed food which I didn't like to do, it went through 3-6 live mice every fortnight or so but I just swapped it with a mate for a CP n some cash LOL. Both those lots of advice sound good though, the snakes I've got now don't know the difference cos I defrost them all together like Lily said, good luck!

scent your rats with mice it only takes once or twice and they take unscented rats.

Luke had his first Rat 2 nights ago. He wouldnt take it from the bottom of his tank like he does his mice, but grabbed and ate it when I wriggled it for him.

Good to hear, now he has a taste for them he should take it like he normally does the mice hopefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back