- Query For sale in Pairs only

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bwarna

Reaction score
Hi
Just a quick question.

Why does it seem in the last 3 months or so, that some breeders are selling in pairs only?

What if someone only wants 1!! Is it not unfair to say no you must buy 2....
Especially when they are expense breeds....

does it not seem to pose the problem of unwanted breeding pairs??
or worse inexperience Breeders.......

easier to get rid of stock, if freight is involved for one snake, it can be quite some heartache and the extra paperwork maybe

In some cases, females are more sought after, and breeders don't want to be stuck with no females and a whole heap of males no-one wants.

I don't have a problem with breeders only selling in pairs because as nervous said, it their reptiles so they can make the rules. I have always wonder though what happens if people put down a deposit and something happens like there is only 2 females and 14 males.

It's common practise with a lot of species, BHP's and womas mainly. Breeders have done it for years.

I'm with Dicco. And I have seen some breeders offer the males as specials once all the pairs are gone. Also bwarna, I think you will find that most of these animals are the more expensive type like BHP's, womas etc. I Don't imagine that too many people would merely want these as pets. I think most would want them to breed with them.

Perhaps a breeder who sells individually would like to give themselves a plug now?

Oh, and nervous, the breeders dont make the rules. The buyers do. The breeders just want the highest price a buyer is willing to pay. And that should be expected, it is their livelihood, just as you want the highest salary you can get. But if we don't buy. The price will go down.

Pairs Query

Thanks for your collective input.
I respect that breeders make the rules.

But I am on the other side of the fence where I was after a BHP for a pet ......
not to breed....

Thankfully we found a breeder who sells singles. We where not fussy about male or female......

But thank you all for clearing that up for me.

I've seen spectacular NT BHP's in commercial premises for only $800 each. Males of course.

Thanks for your collective input.
I respect that breeders make the rules.

But I am on the other side of the fence where I was after a BHP for a pet ......
not to breed....

Thankfully we found a breeder who sells singles. We where not fussy about male or female......

But thank you all for clearing that up for me.

I sell BHP singly but only the males.

You will find that almost without exception breeders will only sell single males assuming they have more males than females of course.

moosenoose said:
If I ever sell anything, I want the buyer to wash my car whilst singing me a folk song before I part with the goods :) :D

Hurry up and breed something so I can buy it!

If you just want a pet, pretty much anyone will sell a single male, it's the females you can't buy singly. People are obsessed with females for some reason. Even if it's just for a pet, most people want females. I've found this to be the case since I started breeding snakes, it's the same with male and female buyers. I suppose it's the same thing with people too, look at ads on the TV, billboards etc, aimed at men, they use sexy women to sell. Look at ads in the same media aimed at women; they use sexy women to sell! I suppose it comes down to men knowing what they want and women wanting to be what men want (even if they don't want men to have them!). Why it is the case with reptiles, I just don't know!

Disclaimer:

To all the feminists: no offense intended, don't burn your bras just yet. I know there are exceptions, I'm generalising, etc etc etc, I'm not making a value judgement, just pointing out the way it is.

Disclaimer disclaimer:

Don't feel like I'm ordering anyone not to burn their bras, you're free to do so, I don't care, suit yourself.

Disclaimer disclaimer disclaimer:

I'm not trying to imply that all women own and/or wear bras, suit yourselves, I don't care.

Disclaimer disclaimer disclaimer disclaimer:

I don't care, go jump.

Sdaji said:
[f you just want a pet, pretty much anyone will sell a single male, it's the females you can't buy singly. People are obsessed with females for some reason. Even if it's just for a pet, most people want females. I've found this to be the case since I started breeding snakes, it's the same with male and female buyers. I suppose it's the same thing with people too, look at ads on the TV, billboards etc, aimed at men, they use sexy women to sell. Look at ads in the same media aimed at women; they use sexy women to sell! I suppose it comes down to men knowing what they want and women wanting to be what men want (even if they don't want men to have them!). Why it is the case with reptiles, I just don't know!

Mitochondrial DNA maybe of interest to those obsessed? :wink:

Males have just as much mitochondria as females and if you're not breeding, the maternal inheritance isn't relevant, so continue to ponder!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back