Question Regarding Thicktail Geckos.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MoreliaMatt

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
hi all, i know that thick tails (barking geckos) sceintific name is Underwoodisaurus Milii, however i have also seen them reffered to as nephrurus milii??

this is in the SA permit lists....

i understand that they are exempt and i dont have to have them on permits but i thought i would put them on anyway.... it cant hurt....

so do i put them in under underwoodisaurus? or nephrurus?

thanks,

Matt...

underwoodisaurus in brackets nephrurus that way you are covered or ring the Dept for clarification and get the persons name.

Don't put them on there, however if you want to use Nephrurus Milii (the old classification), my Hypsilurus are down as Gonocephalus as well as that is was NPWS list them as..

They need to catch up a little

ok i got my answer! should have asked rocket before i posted on here lol! but now its here if anyone else wants to know!

Shawn says:
they have been caught up in a re-classification puzzle. When one taxonomist noticed the very evident similarities between Underwoodisaurus and Nephrurus- he attempted to change Underwoo.... to Nephrurus just to eliminate a not needed genus. Underwo.. and Neph. both have biological and behavioural similarities and hobbyists went there separate ways and put underwoo.. as Nephrurus but of course Barkings and Granite Belt thick Tails can be classified under Underwoo. aswell.
Which of course- NPWS SA have gone with the Nephrurus. Milii rather than the Underwoodisaurus Milii name which I think should still be abyded.

SO THANKS SHAWN (rocket) FOR CLEARING THAT UP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back