question???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

optamistic

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I have recently brought my first snake and it is nice natured but the only problem is he is a bit active when i am handling him, not a real problem but i am just trying to find a solution or is it usual for them to be like this as this age (about 5-6 months) or will he grow out of it with more handling, the only reason im really bothering with this is because it is winter

All the baby snakes i have bought have all been jumpy when i first got them.
just handle them reasonably regularly and they should come good!

Perfectly normal, give it a week to settle in if you only just got it, then the more you handle the more it will calm down.

hes not jumpy and rather calm it's just he moves around a bit like trying to climb up my arm and it gets rather anoying when i am wearing a jumper because he climbs up the sleve, i have given up on pulling him out of my jumper and have just but rubberbands around my elbow so he can go in but can't get all the way up my arm, but i was also wondering if they like to get high or stay low because he is always trying to climb up

Perfectly normal, give it a week to settle in if you only just got it, then the more you handle the more it will calm down.

i have had him for about 3-4 weeks and i handle him once a day, should i handle more often

The Rock will tell you not to handle it and I admire his reasons but you will anyway so be a tree/a platform for your snake. Dont grasp it or hold onto it. If it keeps jumping around then put it away and let it de-stress.

The Rock will tell you not to handle it and I admire his reasons but you will anyway so be a tree/a platform for your snake. Dont grasp it or hold onto it. If it keeps jumping around then put it away and let it de-stress.

his not jumpying around or anything but just slithering around as in not stressed out or anything but just wanting a change of scenery i just use my other hand to pick him up and re-position him on my other hand

Snakes aren't like furries that like to sit on your lap and purr or worse, lick your hands as you stroke them and watch TV.

As peterescue said, be the tree. Expect that your snake will move around, likely he is looking for somewhere safe and probably dark to hide. Handling is not natural nor does it seem to be enjoyable for them. The best thing to do is allow them to 'handle' you and if it keeps trying to make a getaway, take the hint and pop it back into it's cage, it has clearly had enough or is scared and stressing out.

And no, it won't learn (or likely will refuse to co-operate) that a particular place is where you think it is supposed to be. Sit and Stay just don't work. :p

I agree with the tree thing but as i was looking around at other disscusions for hints I saw one about cooling, I was wondering if it would be just because of the cold weather and he wants to get warmer, it would explain about the jumper sleve
when i am wearing a jumper because he climbs up the sleve, i have given up on pulling him out of my jumper and have just but rubberbands around my elbow so he can go in but can't get all the way up my arm

More likely because its dark and snug. Your body warmth probably doesnt go astray.

Every snake is different. I have a small coastal that loves going up sleeves, and then just sits in it. More likely trying to find a dark spot than getting warm.

Also I notice my snakes are much more active when they are ready to be fed.

yeah well i'll wait till summer and see ih he soughta settles down, hopefully all he wants is a bit of warmth

Its just being a snake mate, get used to it.

Prob handling to much, give him a few days off in between.

Me and my mate just got new snakes from the same batch. His wants to move around all the time, mine wants to sit. His is a bit snappy, mine wont even move into strike position even for sharp movements. His is darker, mines lighter. I just think it's their personality. That might just be your snake?

i have started picking him up while he is still curled up (@) kind of shape and let him stay in that shape and he just sits thier

it has been recomended to handle snakes 2 times a week and not at all when they are in slough or for the 2 days after they have just eaten..... these hints head well and your do well to follow them

i got a carpet python juvenile yesterday. and it strikes at about everything. even when its in its cage. the person that i got it off was holding it just fine.
can anyone help???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back