questions and a point

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica_lee

Reaction score
Ive been thinking lately, there is proably a very large number of snakes out there that are superficially similar (to people like myself) to taipans and brown snakes. I am willing to bet that the number of snake out there that are brown outweigh the number of Taipan and Brown snakes.

So why is it that NO ONE I speak too has ever seen I dunno, a little whip snake, or any other not-as-venomous snake?

Could these not snakes who do not command so much of an "ohh" or "wow, how scary" be going extinct?

I hope you see my point. I know people who see a snake that is brown from ten metres, and in their professional opinion (that being what they have seen on the Teeve) have identified it as a king brown etc.

And a question:
Proserpine coastal carpets, is the locale reffered to the proserpine in nth queensland?

have a great day everyone!

Hey Jess,
Yes Prossy carpets are from Proserpine locality.
Ally

The reason that alot of people never see a small snake or a python is because they're at least a little bit scared of them. The fear instantly makes a yearling carpet python into a 6m taipan. I often find it's the same case for spiders.

Snakes are mis-identified all the time. Most people have heard of brown snakes and red belly blacks so anything of these colours are instantly considered to be one of these species. People in general would not no the difference between a whip snake to a tree snake - even the difference between a python and a snake. All black snakes are "black snakes", all brown coloured snakes are brown snakes and anything with stripes would be declared tiger snakes. Good snakes are dead ones in the eyes of general public purely because they don't recognise a deadly one from a harmless one.

Even a cranky little whip snake which is harmless would be killed because they just don't know.

Little whips snakes are nocturnal and would generally only be found by the general public if they are moving rocks or logs around.

But if you are actually referrring to 'small' whip snakes like yellow-faced whips then I see your point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back