Quick question about sliding doors

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, I'm glad the question came to mind! I feel like I've possibly heard a story in the past about a larger snake sliding open an unlatched/unlocked sliding door, I can't remember the specifics, but apparently it was enough to put the thought in my mind.

Thanks everyone for your help and your stories (sorry to hear about slippery gypsy :(). I'll most definitely be securing some form of lock to all my sliding doors (as I build/convert my enclosures!).

I've just ordered some showcase type locks, but Saximus! Definitely interested in hearing more about your coat hanger locks as well.

Ta

x

Wire "locks"
If you don't have concerns about the door being opened by humans these are ideal. solar17 posted these photos I'm not sure if he originally introduced the idea to APS but its brilliant

7y9eguby.jpg

That's them thanks Jax. Yeah they provide no security from humans but neither do key locks really. You can just lift an entire door out of it's slider with those ones. Since I got into vens, my snake room had a lock on the door anyway so that isn't a concern

That's such a neat idea, I never would have thought of it.. I assume you bend them with pliers or in a vice or something?

x

I've found some for $2each on eBay, Pm incoming :D

usually the cheap ones are from hong kong and take 3 weeks to get here, i've just ordered one from sydney cost 12 bucks including postage but will be here for my new setup in a few days.....i dont understand how they can send stuff from overseas with next to no postage but buy something from australia as small as a lock and it costs 6-9 bucks in postage

- - - Updated - - -

Wire "locks"
If you don't have concerns about the door being opened by humans these are ideal. solar17 posted these photos I'm not sure if he originally introduced the idea to APS but its brilliant

7y9eguby.jpg
good idea, but like ya said no good for human hands, with 3 little kids they wouldnt last 5 seconds i have to put my keys out of reach of the kids so they dont sneak in and try get to the snakes. what are the conditions on keeping vens regarding locks?

Lockable enclosures inside a lockable room

sounds like a gun safe.... what type of enclosures are best for vens? sliding glass doors, lift up lid?? i am getting vens down the track when the kids grow up and i can convince the missus.

sounds like a gun safe.... what type of enclosures are best for vens? sliding glass doors, lift up lid?? i am getting vens down the track when the kids grow up and i can convince the missus.

Haha yeah it's a little extreme but it makes sense I guess if people have kids.
I personally prefer sliding doors because you can control them a lot better. With swinging doors it's easy for them to get caught in the gaps and stuff. It's generally personal choice though

I'm pretty sure in some states you are required to keep vena in locked enclosures in locked rooms.

Re the wire 'lock' I use it and a traditional glass slide lock. Like was said, I then know the glass is shut, and its a good habit to get into - they're all Houdini if given half a chance.

Wire "locks"

7y9eguby.jpg

Just wanted to bump this thread as the wire locks are a great idea! If i had them on beforehand it would have prevented a recent escapee and i have since addedd them to all my enclosures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back