Raspberry Pi to control environment for python enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like you had some promising results? What type of computer/interface did you use?

I haven't decided which sensors to use yet, but the first candidate I'll try will be the adafruit DS18B20 for temperature or maybe DHT22.

Yeah it turned out to be surprisingly easy. Mine used a PIC microcontroller programmed in C but it was more complex than it needed to be simply because I had to do it from scratch as my final thesis project and I intended on adding lots of fancy things just to see if it was possible (wireless comms to the slave/sensor units almost worked). Yours would be much more accessible to hobbyists when you get it working though.

Those sensors seem pretty good. Just make sure you look into the maximum cable length for the one-wire comms. If it’s too long, you might end up with capacitance issues.
How do you plan on controlling the output power for the heater? Electromechanical relays are the easiest easy but you will be forced into it only ever being an on/off type. SSRs are much cooler but require more effort to use.

Awesome sax. I watched your thread waiting. Glad to hear you got some love out of the project.

You two should get things happening. Ill be the test piolet :p

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk 2

I'm happy to play crash test dummy also :D it sounds like an epic idea and I'm with you, I think there's a hole in the market for this sort of thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back