rat pups

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scale_Addiction

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
i had my pair of rats die in the heat wave today, and i'm left with three pups, is there anyway of raising them by hand?

An ex member of this site kept his bubbies alive when its mother died by soaking bread in milk apparrently. They lasted long enough on that until he was able to find another pregnant female to care for the young.

If you cant find another pregnant mum for em you may be better off feeding them off.

Cheers,
Brodie

You will probably find that another suckling mother will adopt them if you throw them under her.

If you do not have another mother available i would be bopping them on the head and freezing them.

i figured this much. i don't have an adopt a mum. might just feed em out. will wait till tonight to see if theres any ideas.

it's been so hot here in syd today i dread going out to the shed. I lost 2 tubs of breeding rats and ALL my mice last month in a hot day. Everything is now on the bottom shelf of the shed right at the back.

Look at the bright side....i will be turning into a power feeder if there are some 'casualties' as i only fed my snakes on Sat.

I tried to keep 8 near/weaners alive with no mummy with bread soaked milk and all that happened was that they lost conditon so quickly over a few days so they were next to useless as feeding material and fertilised the mango tree instead

i herd tthe best place to keep them is if u have a under house keep them there as it always stays nice and cool thats what i herd anyways

I know that we don't breed commercially anymore, but we are still breeding a few ratties for our 2 MD's. We have two tubs inside where it is airconditioned, much better than a hot old shed eh? I find that I have to clean out the tubs more often, but it is worth the effort. No smells at all in side here. My two pairs are breeding that well, I have too much in the freezer at the moment, so I am selling some nice little weaner rats to the local pet shop as pet ratties for Christmas. cheers Cheryl

do many of your rats breed in summer. or do they stop.

yeaha my rat breeder still breeds his all summer long he said that they stop around about feb or something

no pete but i have a good friend who sells loads of them for a real good price to and cause your my buddy he will look after u aswell he probally breeds enough to look after the whole of campbelltown

hehe oh yeah pete i dont breed any rats i just buy them off a good friend of mine if u want some tell me as ill hook u up with this guy u wont be disapointed with the quality

Look at the bright side....i will be turning into a power feeder if there are some 'casualties' as i only fed my snakes on Sat.
Hey, I wouldn't do this personally! If the heat is enough to kill them it certainly wont take long for them to rot - Id throw them out. jmo
Cheers
Ad

A hint on saving rats and mice on hot days, keep a few bottles of water in the freezer and place one in each tub or as I use bath tubs for breeding and only tubs for pregys I place a couple of 1-2 litre bottles in each bath tub and replace in the afternoon. Seems to work well with virtually no casualties since I started doing this.

The frozen water thing is a great idea. I use this method on my rabbits and ferrets. It is easy and effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back