Rat set ups?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snow1369

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Looking into breeding my own rodents as supliers always run out this time of year and i'm sick of it. Looking at a few breeding pairs and some mice also i need to make somthing (like a bank) to house a few pairs (say 3) of rats and another 3 mice pairs (or trios) and then somthing i can hosue juviniles in to grow for food.
Anyone have some bank kind of plans or idead i can look at i was thinking a bank type thing for adults then anothern for juviniles to grow (with a few sized enclosure, achived by dividers i guess (so pretty much 2 banks just one with more dividers). Can anyone share pictures of their set ups as i'd be very interested in knowing and haveing a look at what others are useing (preferably people breeding a few pairs).

I hope that all makes sense?
Thanks in advance
Snow.

When we were Rodentranching, we had a trio in each tub, for growing out we used rainwater tanks cut in half with mesh lids that could be opened up so you could get in for easy cleaning. Used to get drums of wood shavings from local wood/timber merchant. Put in lots of hide places for them. We used to get vegie scraps(fresh) from local Tavern, and fed them the usual rodent pellets. That is to cut a long story short. Cheers Cheryl

i use 2 timber boxes aprox 1.5 ft square with 10 mm square mesh fronts and 2 fish tanks 1 2ft and the other 3 ft and have 2 or 3 females and 1 male rats in each 1 .works well

this is what i am using to grow them out and just rodent tubs set up on shelving for the breeders
Rodentboxes.jpg

I'm just in the process of setting up some rats to breed. Got them all in cages at the moment, and I'm going to get some large bird cages to grow the young in.

this is an old thread.. but still a good pic for you to look at.. looks pretty simple to put together too.
http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62961&highlight=rat+breeding+setup

and another..
http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61907&highlight=rat+breeding+setup

there is a thread I've been searching for and can't find it.. someone else may know.. a fellow on here built his own breeding set up. It was really well done, had auto feeders and everything. Maybe you could find it.

Hope that helps.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back