Rats or rabblits?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lutzd

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
My olive moved on to rabbits some time ago and seems to be doing well with them.

I think my diamond is near the "upgrade" stage now too, as she wolfs large rats down in no time at all! :)

I was just wondering if anyone has any info on the relative nutritional value of a rabbit compared to a couple of large rats.

Thanks in anticipation.

David my only info is that my large snakes love rabbits a lot and they do well on a mostly rabbit diet.

David, this is Wokka's speciality! Will tell him to get in touch with you. Be prepared!

Hi Lily,

Please make sure Wokka answers in public because I think lots of people would like to know the answer.

Also, the bank is happy and I love your back!!!

I hear bunny rabbit diet is better the rats. When my snakes get big i am going on 2 bunny rabbit.

Re rats v rabbits as food... you might as well throw cows, chickens monkeys or sheep into the equation also. It is true to say that for reptiles, meat is meat and rat meat has near enough to the same nutritional value as rabbit meat. The significant point is that meat is not fat, and in this regard, reptiles are not dissimilar to people in that too much fat is bad, particularly in conjunction with very little exercise.

I was recently reading a thesis on the biology and physiology of snakes, which stated that the author raised a clutch of carpets, half on beef steak and half on the usual diet in order to research the issue, with no detrimental effect and no difference batween the two groups.

The rats v rabbits debate normally raises it's head when larger feed items are required. My observation is that once rats reach over 300gms they become fat. This being the case, if you want to feed your python 500gms of food you are better off with a 500gm rabbit or 2x250gm rats rather than a 500gm rat which is more than likely overweight. A more easily available alternative may be half a chook or some beef shank. The food value is much the same.

Perhaps someone can tell me if skin and hair are important?

Bugger all to do with snakes, but I heard that the lions at Dubbo zoo got crook with an meat only diet. Once whole unskinned and ungutted goats were thrown in they picked up. Seems the hair and gut is vital. I would think it would be the same with snakes. They evolved eating whole prey not chunks of meat. It may be alright every now and then but not long term. But then I'm no expert thats just what I believe.

Maybe next time my wife waxws her legs i should put that in an old shoe(leather of course) and throw in a stake to balance the diet

So I would assume that a mixture of food sources would also be good for a snakes health. As it would eat more than just Mice and Rats in the wild. If that is the case, is there anyone near Brisbane or the Gold Coast that has got a reliable source of Rabbits, as when mine is old enough to take rabbits I will need them.

Surfcop, year thats right .we feed japanese quail (3-400 gram) squab pidgeon(3-600gram) and Chooks from the local poultry abbatior. Rabbits (80-1500 gram) grown on a ragbbit farm. Mice and rats.

Im not sure about the rodent hair, as they dont digest it. Crack open a python turd and you'll see its packed with undigested hair. I do believe large rats(500g or more) are high in fat and that rabbits of equal size are far better.

I gave my Olives their first rabbits last week and found that they digested far quicker than rats. I wonder whether the fluffy fur of rabbits, rather than the coarse hair of rats, had something to do with this.

Fat is harder to digest than meat, so it would take longer to digest. This may have made a difference with the rabbits being digested quicker.

Most predators can't digest hair but it is good roughage for them, kinda like bran to us. If you look at feral cat and fox stools there will be undigested hair, feathers and bits of bone. These contribute to hard stools and that helps to empty the anal glads when they crap. And believe me you don't want to see a dog with impacted anal glands :shock: I suppose a snake will do fine on rats/rabbits its whole life, but if I had a snake that was cosmopolitan in its tastes I would feed it different foods just for a change. A dog will do fine on a good dry food but I like to feed my old mate different things from time to time (Its lamb hearts tonight :D )

I feed my olives purely on rabbits. I beleive that rabbits have less fat than rats. Rabbits killed when weighed between 500 and 800 grams are what i use - an olive has no problem with that size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back