Rbb

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a study by Shine et al on wild EB's that showed that above a certain temperature thy actually became less reactive. I'll look it up tonight when I get home if you like.

Yes please, thanks mate:)! During that recent heat wave over here (Adelaide Hills) we were run off our feet with EB's entering or found in houses and mostly rooms on the south eastern sides of dwellings. Not that suprising, I guess, given the 40c+ ambient temps (outside ground temps must have been unbearable for them).

- - - Updated - - -

The tongs I got with my kit are still in the plastic covering I got them in as well. Im fairly sure I would be injured if someone came along and grabbed me with a fancy set of BBQ tongs so why would I use them on a snake?

Ha, ha....they are about as useful as those snake alert vibrating sensors I reckon, though the sensors are probably not as potentially dangerous.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have a question for relocators that have a demonstrators license, if you catch a snake at someones property are you allowed to use it in a demonstration in the following days? As I believe the guidelines are the animal has to be released within 2 weeks of capture unless unfit for release.

Have a question for relocators that have a demonstrators license, if you catch a snake at someones property are you allowed to use it in a demonstration in the following days? As I believe the guidelines are the animal has to be released within 2 weeks of capture unless unfit for release.

My permit (Qld) states that I am not allowed to take the captured snake home unless it is injured and needs care. Would have to check the exact wording (I'm at work ATM) but I am pretty sure they have to be released within 24hrs.

My permit (Qld) states that I am not allowed to take the captured snake home unless it is injured and needs care. Would have to check the exact wording (I'm at work ATM) but I am pretty sure they have to be released within 24hrs.

Ditto this in NSW, however, i have been asked to keep a few textys from callouts to supply upcoming relocation courses in my district. The snakes were given back following courses and I released them. In SA, although they have no Demonstrators Permit as such, as a licenced relocator, I can legally put any texty's I remove on my books and trade said textys interstate without having to wait the 6 months.

Just a pity textilis aren't as popular as albino olives. ( just joking...though I may put a pair on the books as a future breeding project).

Really? Think I'll have to move interstate! Trust Qld to have the most draconian regulations.

Trouble is, you guys have all the best looking textys:)! And you get Coastal Tais!.....what about those poor sods in WA:),:)?!!

Great lookin Rb, IV. Are you finding the blacks are darker over there compared to NSW? As in better looking;D

Great lookin Rb, IV. Are you finding the blacks are darker over there compared to NSW? As in better looking;D

IMO they are, completely black noses and seem more crimson in the belly, though that could be because they are darker animals overall? Nothing, so far, as long as the northern NSW stuff, but really thick and chunky beasties. I like the look of them better than the northen animals for all those reasons.

I've been told there's a population here without any red at all...almost a "steel blue"...sounds cool eh:)!

Are the tongs with the strip of leather just as bad or what?
just wondering because a guy I know who works with wildlife and occasionally relocates snakes and he showed me the tongs with the strip of leather he uses and with my finger it felt pretty gentle. However that was my finger...
But he's a bit of a jerk. When he relocates snakes he tails them and shakes the around saying that it calms them down! From what I saw it sure didn't calm the angry EB I saw him using the technique on. (I saw the video only)
Terrible way to calm a snake IMO :rolleyes:
Anyway, any answers will be appreciated. Cheers and sorry about the kind of hijack.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh just realised the thread is from the 17th sorry

Last edited:
Personally, I think anything that aggravates the snake any further than necessary in an already stressful situation is unnecessary...never heard of the shaking before:)!

Are the tongs with the strip of leather just as bad or what?
just wondering because a guy I know who works with wildlife and occasionally relocates snakes and he showed me the tongs with the strip of leather he uses and with my finger it felt pretty gentle. However that was my finger...

There is a big difference between the amount of pressure he would put on your finger and the pressure he would put on a defensive EB struggling to escape from the tongs especially when he is hyped up on adrenaline. A snakes ribs are fragile and it is easy to break them even with leather.

Cheers guys. Yeah @IV the shaking was definitely a new concept for me too and not one that looked appealing or kind to the snake...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back