Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kitah

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Found this fella at about 7.30pm coming down from O'reilys/Lamington National Park. I didn't see him (was dark) but a friend said "hey hang on, snake!" so I reversed carefully to check it was ok and saw this lil guy, and was wondering, is he a RBB? Was a few feet long, didn't seem to be injured.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

really? I wasn't sure that it was a RBB as its head seemed the wrong shape, but it had its head under the leaves most of the time and I didn't have a torch and didn't want to get too close. thanks :)

Yeah, you can tell (at least, I did) by the light red colour on its belly. Red belly blacks usually have a much more vivid colouration.

head is totally different shape to a RBB, still a nice find though.

Yeah, you can tell (at least, I did) by the light red colour on its belly. Red belly blacks usually have a much more vivid colouration.
You cant tell by colour ...rbbs can and do have very light pink colouration...your obvious difference is the fact it has a small eye compared to a rbb which has quiet a large one , the colouration on a small eye is only on the belly ,where as on a rbb, disregarding the deepness or vivid colouration,actually comes up onto the flank of the snake so its visible even when lying flat on the ground...rbbs have a divided anal scale,sml eyed have a single ,,rbb have a very broad head, typical of blacksnake family..the small eyed has a more depressed head and squarish looking snout...still treat is with the utmost respect as its still a BITEY....;)

I've never seen a red belly with light pink colouration, which is why I identify between them like that, but I do see your point. However, maybe it's a good thing that it gets mistaken for a red belly, because it is venomous... at least it's good with those who actually respect snakes in the first place.

Ok thanks guys :) Like I said, I thought the head looked wrong for a RBB but didn't know of any other black snakes with pinky/reddish bellys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back