re Hibernating Beardies

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rodentrancher

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Just wondering, cos someone asked us and we don't know?? If you have a hibernating bearded dragon, should you have a UV and/or heat light going? Also should you provide water and food at this time please??? Cheers Cheryl and Dave

Hey Fuscus, we don't have it, and I'm not sure what the people are doing with the Beardie. From what they said sounds like it is half grown, and they dug it up out of a wood heap, that they were going to saw up for firewood. Cheers Cheryl PS The Wood , not the Beardie LOL

are you ment to change things for beardies to hibernate?
what time should we be doin this?
do you have to do this?
nev

hmm, it is best to change the photoperiod to about 10 hrs of light a day, turn the heat down into the low 20's. It's best done around the time of winter but they need to be brought into it gradually. I suggest that you buy a book on beardies as it is best explained there and I couldn't be bothered typing it out now :p Simon

how long do i do it for?
i have "general care and maintainance of bearded dragons" the book and hasnt said any thing about hibernation.
ta nev

rodentrancher said:
Hey Fuscus, we don't have it, and I'm not sure what the people are doing with the Beardie. From what they said sounds like it is half grown, and they dug it up out of a wood heap, that they were going to saw up for firewood. Cheers Cheryl PS The Wood , not the Beardie LOL

So why don't they just put it back in what's left of the wood heap?

Approx. 3months or so. It's more of a period of reduced activity rather than hibernation. Keep it cool (20's) but still provide a basking spot for a few hour's a day. Also, reduce the food slowly but always have water avaliable. My Beardy does it naturally but some don't. It's not completely necessary but it is generally recommended especially if you intend on breeding them.
Simon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back