Red bellie with red nose

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Davem54

Reaction score
Do many red bellies have a reddish nose like this one? I had never noticed it before. This one is also a little odd in that he had a lump that is just visible in the pic too.

Yes, that's normal for Red-bellies to have a brown snout.

The lump is probably a skin worm from eating frogs, one of their favourite prey items.

Wasnt there a ssp described by Ray Hoser with the same rostral colour Psudechis porphyricus eipperii?

Zen
i would say you were spot on, a small cut between the scales and then squeaze the little bugger out will do the trick
Mick

I couldn't cut the lump because he took of under a rock .Zen You have a good knowledge of the Alpine bluey distribution. Do you have any idea of diamond snake dist. I have always been curious about how far west they go? I have seen one on an easterly flowing river but fairly west of Katomba. When do the Murray Darlings start??On westerly flowing rivers????

the northern rbbs tend to have brown noses, the southern ones seem to lack it.

The Rock said:

I agree. I've never come across a wild RBB on the south coast thats had any fading of the snout or brownish colouration.

Jezz that one looks like a real party animal. Reminds me of an apparently true story of some fishermen on a river looking for some bait. All they could find was a red bellie with a frog in his mouth. he woudn't let it go so they put some rum in his mouth and got the frog then went fishing. 1/2 hour later one fisherman got a tap on his shoulder--- it was the red bellie with another frog asking for another sip of rum.

Groan! That's really bad [which is why I liked it!] :)

Just curious though..... what did he tap with? :)

[and I was allowed to go off-topic because the thread owner did.. so there!] :wink:

serpenttongue said:
The Rock said:

I agree. I've never come across a wild RBB on the south coast thats had any fading of the snout or brownish colouration.

I have just checked(today) 24 rbbs from coastal NSW including Wollongong and everyone of them has a brown nose.

lutzd said:
Groan! That's really bad [which is why I liked it!] :)

Just curious though..... what did he tap with? :)

[and I was allowed to go off-topic because the thread owner did.. so there!] :wink:

with their tail Dave, when they get annoyed(you need to be holding it of course) they sometimes ball up their tail and hit you with it. Thats if you havent let go after they spray you with faeces.

... and it could be embarassing for them if they're constipated at the time! "Here ya go! Take THIS!" .... :shock: :? Damn!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back