Red Bellied Black Snake not shedding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris101

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Quick question for all the elapid keepers out there. I bought a neonate red belly back in May, according to the breeder he shed some two weeks prior to freighting down to Melbourne.

In the 4 months I've had the little guy he has grown roughly 50% in length, but minimal girth.

He is eating velvet mice once every 10 days, as 2 pinkies were no longer doing the job.

I'm starting to get a little worried, its now time for another feed, should I miss it or at the very least provide him with one and see if he takes it.

I have not noticed any changes in appearance or behaviour.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Kind regards
Chris

He will slough when he needs to. Sounds like you could feed him more, most young elapids can grow very fast when you feed them lots. I used to feed mine roughly every 4-6 days.

Wouldnt worry about the not shedding thing. I would feed at closer intervals though. Every 4 odd days would be good. And yeah, feed him, dont skip it. They digest pretty quick anyway.

Last edited:
They don't necessarily shed due to growth especially elapids and some can go long periods and many of mine eat while they are shedding so don't stop offering food.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back