Red Bellied Black

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rett82

Reaction score
My husband Reptilerob took me and the kids out for a drive this morning around the river flats and he noticed this beautiful red bellied black snake going into a drain so i had to get out and get a few photo's. I also notice a mosquito sitting on the snake near its mouth.

Attachments

• reddy2.jpg
    reddy2.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 150
  • reddy.jpg
    reddy.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 170
can mozzies even get through the scales? Great shots! they are great looking snakes.

hey, great find, stunning red belly and wow fantastic pic with the mossie on its nose

thanks for sharing...

Thanks for the comments everyone. I also am wondering the same thing m_beardie.

i find so many of these and never get sick of them,and i have just completed a husbandry manual on this species,and my question to you is, Can i use your pic in my manual?? its a nice one and it is unusual

Thanks RBB and snakepimp. Your both right they certainly are beautiful snakes.
Snakepimp, i would be honoured if you used my photo for your manual, thankyou for asking. Thats just made my day.

thanking you for an awsome pic, I am constantly around this species which i have used in my studies. It is the most uniform in appearance of all elapids,with some variation in ventral scale colouring .
I am not in possesion of a camera so i find it hard to get good pics lol

Here is my photo of the black snake. This was quite exciting for us, because whenever we see them when we're together, they are always taking off!!! They are very quick to get out of the road.
This time it tried to elude us but went down a one-way street....ahh drain, and got cornered!!

After lunch i went out the bush rabbit/fox shooting, and on the way out i found this lovely little eastern bearded dragon basking in the sun on the road. I moved him to safety because although the road isnt a major road, it has a constant flow of traffic!!!

Attachments

• redbbsnake.jpg
    redbbsnake.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 81
  • bearded.jpg
    bearded.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 82
  • bearded2.jpg
    bearded2.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 55
  • bearded3.jpg
    bearded3.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 56
There is quite a variation between northern RBBs and southern, Northern are paler and much more muscular

actually ,in 1 of rick shines papers on the species which he has done many,specifies its the other way around in morphometrics, but yes northern(queensland) specimens are paler than southern extremes (vic,SA)

i cut and pasted this out of my manual

There is a suggestive trend in the size of Psuedechis porphyriacus from different locations, that southern geographic populations are larger than their northern counterparts, there may be also a trend of highlands snakes being actually larger than lowland populations. For example Psuedechis porphyriacus in the New England region highlands tend to be significantly larger than the lowland form in the same area.

Here is my photo of the black snake. This was quite exciting for us, because whenever we see them when we're together, they are always taking off!!! They are very quick to get out of the road.
This time it tried to elude us but went down a one-way street....ahh drain, and got cornered!!

After lunch i went out the bush rabbit/fox shooting, and on the way out i found this lovely little eastern bearded dragon basking in the sun on the road. I moved him to safety because although the road isnt a major road, it has a constant flow of traffic!!!

when looking for Black snakes on foot you soon learn to adopt the diving onehanded grab with your left hand technique LOL
otherwise most of the time you will get a glimpse but go home with no pics and just tales of the snakes you "missed " but disappeared into scrub LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back