regurgitator

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

liedra

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all!
My coastal carpet (8 months old) who has been feeding happily on fuzzy rats just regurgitated the rat I fed him 2 days ago (it smelled very very very bad). Any ideas why a usually happy snake would regurgitate his food?

Thanks!

- liedra

Did you handle the snake in the last two days?
Excessive handling while they are digesting food can cause them to regurgitate.
I know that smell you mentioned...MY Gott it is putrid.

Liedra,
There are many reasons why your snake may of regurgitated, but the most common is handling soon after feeding, as Greebo mentioned, one other common one is that the food is too large and once eaten has rested uncomfortably in the snake, and so it feels it needs to get rid of it, and regurgs it.
Was the food item larger than you normally feed?

Sometimes when the temps are too high snakes will regurgitate!

Other reasons for regurge can be internal parasites, worms , protozoa etc.., but very unlikely if your snake is a CB 8 month old animal.
Have you introduced any new snakes into your collection recently?

I guess is the same as Greebo's the handling, but if not, the food has probably been resting uncomfortably.

Leave it a week before you try to re-feed.

If you find she does the same after her next feed and you have considered all the above then, go see a Vet and get her checked out, a good Vet that knows about Reptiles! If there is such a thing!

Hope all turns out well, I think that it will, so don't worry too much, I don't know anyone who hasn't had a regurge at some point in there time in keeping snakes!

Regards,
NCHERPS

I've had it happen a few times and it was because the cage was to cold(globe blows o'night) if it's to cold the snake can't diegest it and it will start to rot in it's stomach so up it will come.

Hmm, thanks all! I haven't handled him and the temps seem to be okay (I have a heat mat that he snuggles up to and lights to keep the ambient temp up to good levels), so maybe it was either too hot (though I'm not sure why he wouldn't just move away from the heated end of the enclosure) or the food was too big. I might try a size down and see how he goes with that in a week's time. He's the only snake in my collection so I'm not sure that worms etc. would be a problem (and I haven't introduced any new sticks/etc. to his enclosure either).

So my bet is on the 'eyes too big for his stomach' one, thanks for all your suggestions! I had to warn my family away from the rubbish bin so that they don't cop a noseful of that stink (even though I wrapped it up it still pervades the back yard to the extent you need a biosuit to get down there! ;-) )

- liedra

A fuzzy rat shouldn't be to big for an 8 month old carpet, i've got an 8 month old darwin eating large adult mice.

one of my maccies ate a very large mouse for his size and after 2 days i put in a downlight becuase he hadn't digested it properly, bout two mins after doing this he chucked it up.
i know the smell you talk about and its TOTALLY OFF!!

yeah, and there was all this like gastric juice or something that totally soaked the newspaper I had down there, so I had to totally clean out the cage as well, which is really great at 1.30 in the morning! grosss! :|

teehee :lol:
on a side note, does anyone know a reliable pet shop in the sydney north area that sells frozen rats & mice? I usually go to the broadway pet shop near Sydney Uni but they told me they get their stock from Qld and one of the packs I got of rats was off :| which isn't so great (so I don't really trust them any more), most of the shops around me (when asked) said they'd have to order them in ... which isn't so great for the last minute shopper that I am (which is also why I don't tend to order them from online places either)...

Cheers!

:-(

Yeah, I'd like to know that too. I've had two bad batches from that Broadway store, and they won't sell me live, as they know that I'm going to feed them to snakes, and refuse to sell them to me for that purpose. :cry:

Is Brookvale ( Warringah Mall) , small pet shop, whith some reptile stuff opposit BBC too far north.
Thye sell all sizes of mice and rats.

If you want life stuff, I know another one nearby as well. They don't care what you buy them for.

Hm, Warringah Mall isn't too far! - is that the feathers fins and whateveritis shop? I might make a visit - thanks!

Yeah something like that, actually it's fins wings'n things, the other one is Lou's House of Birds (could have changed name, as under new managment)Harboard Rd. opposit Bill Buckle Toyota.
Also there is St. Ives Pet Shop if you happen to come Mona Vale Rd.
They have a big turnover on reptile food.
Hope that helps.
Cheers Artie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back