Reluctant feeder

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luke_83

Reaction score
Hi All

Dont worry about reading the rest of this post. She just ate tonight ironically enough. I just left the mouse in the tank with her and she ate it within the hour.

I am a new keeper and looks like I trusted the wrong person. I thought I have done a fair amount of research into keeping carpets however trying to identify which information is suitable and what isn't can be a challenge

I purchased some snakes (x2 MD's and x 1 Darwin) off RDU and have realised that I was taken for a ride. After I bought them, It was indicated from other members that the guy I purchased my snakes from is dodgy and was selling reptiles illegally (buying and selling before 6 months). At the time I was not aware and when I found out tried to call him, text him etc but he has disconnected numbers and deleted Facebook. Wish I found this site first :/

Anyway what I wanted to know is I have had the snakes for 6 weeks. The larger MD and Darwin are avid eaters and tolerate hopper mice every 7 days and each have shed once. The smaller MD has refused multiple feeds - tried pinkie mice, fuzzies, tried braining to see if it would help but nothing. It is in the same size tank that it was in when I purchased (900x60x45); heating with cord on thermostat and Ceramic heat emitter with good heat gradient (basking area 36 deg). I have only handled a couple of times to allow them all to settle in with minimal stress.

I have taken them all to the vet for a health check etc and it was suggested to leave for another 3 weeks to see if anything happens. If not it was suggested that a vitamin B shot may stimulate feeding.

Any ideas or advice appreciated.

Cheers Luke

Last edited:
Young MD's can be difficult feeders sometimes. Don't stress too much if it is in good health. Keep offering food on a regular basis. How old/big is it? At the very least, a pinkie rat is the go. Our first MD wouldn't strike at its food for the first 12 months or so; we just left the food in its tank, and he ate it at his leisure. Herpaboost is another option to vitamin B, something you can administer yourself, instead of increasing the vet bill.

Is it in an enclosure by itself? If not, it should be for a number of reasons, but there could be dominance/stress issues if it is not by itself.

Jamie

Young MD's can be difficult feeders sometimes. Don't stress too much if it is in good health. Keep offering food on a regular basis. How old/big is it? At the very least, a pinkie rat is the go. Our first MD wouldn't strike at its food for the first 12 months or so; we just left the food in its tank, and he ate it at his leisure. Herpaboost is another option to vitamin B, something you can administer yourself, instead of increasing the vet bill.
Thanks for the info. Good to know that they can be notoriously difficult eaters and not just mine :). She is supposed to be 9 months old and is about 70cms, still quite skinny compared to the other one as they are supposed to be from the same clutch. If I have many more issues will look into herpaboost.

And yes yes all in seperate tanks. When I got them the MD's were all (10 of them) in the same tank - should have clued on then that the seller was dodgy.

Patience is the key. Is she striking at the food, or not interested at all? And have you tried leaving the food in the tank overnight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back