Renting with reptiles - in need of help!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

euphorion

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
So i'm trying to find somewhere new to move to with my herps. I'm down to eight pythons and a beardie so nothing major these days. My question is this; are reptiles classed as pets in rental agreements? I also have a dog so will obviously be discussing that with potential landlords, i'm just wondering if i need to mention the snakes? I also have two tubs of rats that are obviously kept outdoors, should these be mentioned? They're not pets technically and are always very clean so i can't imagine that there would be a problem with them being outside.

I have already looked through previous threads but they are all a bit old now and i'm thinking times may have changed. Links to threads of interest will be appreciated however!

Any help would be appreciated, and recommendations for where to look for places such as little-known websites and things like that. I'm looking through domain.com, realestate.com, rent.com, etc. plus university accommodation services and local sites like gumtree, any others i can try? Also, is it best to just contact all potential places and just ask about pets even if they are not advertised as 'pet friendly' or 'pets negotiable' just to check? I'm new to the renting game, help meeeeee!

I'd say go with honesty Shoo. Technically, caged animals are a different category, but I've run into problems in the past. Chances are though, if they'll accept a dog, everything else should be fine! Lol, I recently had to arrange to have the owner of the place I rent come around and see my collection, because there was a strict stipulation of no more than 8 snakes. This was a potentially huge problem as I had more than that to start with plus eggs on the way! Once he saw that my collection was not trashing his house (I live very cleanly), the 8 snake restriction was removed from the lease!

Hope you find something!

A.

ive never told the real estates ive been with about my snakes and they dont mind

When i was looking for a rental, i found some real estates were different..i dont know the actual rule with Reptiles but i was treated horribly by a lady from a real estate when i was honest and told her i had ONE snake and ONE Lizard. I had the house untill i told her that...then she told me no, the owner wont want me living here.. um ok lady. AFter that. she wouldnt even let me *look* at anything else.

ANyway, i found another place, i did not tell them..at the time i had 2 reps now i have alot more (oops) I want to tell them but its so hard to find a rental, im worried what might happen if they knew.

Yours is easy, you have a dog..just declare your dog, i wouldnt say anything about the snakes. If they say yes to a dog im sure they wont care if they find snakes later.

Good luck though, not many people let you have a dog anymore ..im not allowed one :-(

i doubt they will ever let you in with those rats, caged or otherwise.all the animals which concern you, are excluded under the meaning of provisions of the lease.. as an old retired lawer of many years practise, please let me advise, that should you move in with those rats undisclosed, never ever will they find it easier to gain an eviction.....when i came into herps, some years ago, i could never fathom as to why, so many people kept their herps in the bed-room....then one day it dawned on me. the owners were tenants, and the animals undisclosed, not nearly as interesting as i had previously imagined..

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll work on the dog side of things. I do have a friend with a pet friendly house and a spare room, i think i'll move in there for now and work on improving the conditions while looking for something bigger in the meantime. We shall see!

I have never told any landlords or agents about my snakes and lizards. They find out when they do the inspection and have never made a fuss!

be honest that way if they come and do an inspection they cant kick up a big stink and evict u for breech of contract.

I declared my phythons, the landlords didnt have a problem, they just wanted proof that i had a license so they couldnt get in trouble. Oh and they wanted to be notified if any of them got out. they did object to me bredding rats and mice though.

I have never told any landlords or agents about my snakes and lizards. They find out when they do the inspection and have never made a fuss!

Same for me, I find if you look after the property well, you'll have no problems..!

My last place I rented for 5 years and didn't tell the landlord about my pythons, as she was an older Italian lady who would have been uncomfortable with the idea. I kept the place immaculate and always paid the rent so she was happy with me anyway. In future I may be honest as hiding them becomes tiresome. Since they are in cages with no impact on the property directly they should not be seen as a problem. Fish tanks can break and water damage carpet, dogs and cats can foul flooring and gardens, but reptiles in cages do none of these things. They are exempt in my mind.

If you're really worried and want a "more accurate opinion", maybe try going to a suburb you're never going to live in or down the coast away from you, dont mention your name and just go into a few different realestates and ask about what classifies as a pet (i.e. fish are pets but not classed as one to real estates etc and you can have as many as you like... But dogs are pets to them and its restrictive as to if you can have one or not) And see where reptiles fit in when renting...

That way even if they go off at you and want to stop you looking at renting or getting rental properties or whatever, its not actually a real estate you'll ever use or need. But I dont think they'd do that if you're purely enquiring on the "What is classed as a pet to realestates and landlords"... And maybe just say if you have to, that you're thinking about moving out and renting in a couple years time.
(Dont mention that you're planning on renting in the very near future, which as it sounds, you are, as they could still somehow work against you from what others have said?).

Just be as anonymous as you can, and dont mention that you have any as of yet either, or at all, so they cant hang anything on you or have reason to restrict you if you do need anything else from them. If you really have to, say you were considering getting reptiles and wanted to know how having reptiles would affect you getting a house etc.

If you're still worried they'll put a black mark against your name (even though you never gave them your name) for asking, get someone that owns their own house that wont need to rent to go in and ask...

Otherwise, make up a new email address and email the realestates if you dont want to see them in person and that way they'll never know its you that enquired about it.

Just a few ideas, I dont know how good they are or how well it will work, there's probably some flaws in my plans no doubt lol. I dont even know that you have to be that secretive when enquiring, as it is purely an enquiry, but just incase I guess...

Hope those ideas can help, goodluck and let us know either way.

We rent and I have a snake, and we never put it on the rental thingy. we've never got into trouble, but they've never known, they've seen the enclosure but never ask or don't think to.

Just be honest. We've had trouble in the past, but it was actually the landlords wife who started it because she wanted the place sold and was worried our snakes would 'put people off'. We fought it, and they let us live the lease out, and our snakes had the opposite effect to her worries. People spent five minutes looking at the house and half an hour asking about the snakes, the people who eventually bought the house are actually very interested in owning a few now, and offered us a ten year lease!
People will surprise you if you let them. If the rats are outdoors, in a shed I presume, you should be fine as long as you specify that they are kept clean and, as they are outside, produce minimal smell.

I've rented with reptiles through a real estate company. I didn't have any problems, but they did specify that there was to be no breeding of mice or rats.

I(i.e. fish are pets but not classed as one to real estates etc and you can have as many as you like... But dogs are pets to them and its restrictive as to if you can have one or not) .

My realeste mad me declare all of my fish, they even wanted to know the sex of them and im all ummm. aparantly they need to know for insurence purposes.

I've never had a problem with landlords or owners. I explained they are under lock and key at all times unless they are out having a stretch. They are fine with that. Good luck anyway.

I think most landlords wouldn't have a problem with reptiles. It's not as if your reptiles are going to dig up the backyard and drop little parcels everywhere. My tenant has a fair few reptiles and my only concern is she looks after the place as it is only four years old. My wife took a bit of convincing as she is not a reptile person. Use the angle that the reptiles are not going to do any damage to the place.

Me too. We didn't tell the agent we were getting the frogs, geckos and lizards and kept hiding them at inspections. Our last inspection we left them visable and nothing was said. Reptiles do not affect the environment of the house like dogs and cats do, they can't request you remove them. If it was taken to VCAT, I highly doubt VCAT would go on the landlords side as no damage is caused to the property by having them. I am a Property Manager and love looking at tenants reptiles during inspections although; I have had an owner say no to tenants keeping snakes in the garage as I believe his wife was scared of them...ahhh even if they had it, I just wouldn't tell the owner ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back