Renting with reptiles - in need of help!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
great idea, oh hang on dont real estate agents have this 'thing' were they can put bad tenants names so every other real estate agent cant check potential renters? damn close but no cigar, guess u could always use a fake name

if your lease stipulates NO pets then you can sneak in as many as you like because they can and WILL evict you for breaching the lease and they have that right, then again you might get a great RE agent or landlord who says its ok, also if your landlord/RE agent says you can have pets despite the lease make sure you get that in writing to cover your rear end

thank you Judge Judy :lol:

Yes, the register is called TICA.

I'm not worried about being evicted for having pets that aren't listed on my lease.
If they say anything, I will politely remind them the condition report they gave me when I first moved into the house was NOT an original and is a photocopy. There are numerous other things I can take them to the Tenancy Tribunal for, too.

I'm not going to try and advocate anything that's illegal or breaches lease agreements, but.. keep in mind that real estate agents (in my experience at least) are incredibly sleazy liars.

We advised the real estate that we had one small python. They accepted on the condition that we didn't keep live rodents as a food source (which is fine, because we feed him frozen ones).

Where I used to live, I kept rats as pets. I just hid them in the wardrobe when they did inspections :)

We simply told the truth to cover ourselves. When we told them they were more like "wow, really, cool" then they asked if they were in cages and I said more like fish tanks without water. We can't have cats or dogs because of the potential for damage or smell but herps and fish are fine. If the agent doesn't allow reptiles maybe you should ask why? Get them to tell you what damage they think they will cause. If they say the owner would be freaked out by reptiles, ask "why, will she be living with us?"

i told the truth last time i was looking for rentals, the real estate guy laughed and said in the current market id never get a place with all the critters and i should look into buying or stay put,..

maybe the rental market is better now, this was almost 2 years ago.

We actually just had an inspection today and now the real estate inspector wants a snake and wished me good luck with the spotteds breeding. :D
I got my blonde spotted boy out for her to look at because pretty much all the others ate last night (except for my female spotted, but she's a bit of a grumpy girl in her enclosure, lol).

I think i'd be more worrried about the dog. When I moved in with snakes we never said anything and when we had inspections they never said anything. It's not like it can escape and cause an infestation or destroy anything really.

My bf and I got a dog at a later date and when we moved house. We tried calling private rentals to see if we could get a place and he called one lady who listed pets allowed, it was a granny flat at the back of her own place. Following is a script of the converstaion

Bf: Hello I'm just calling about the place you have for rent, is it still available?
Lady: Yes it's still available is thre anything you'd like to know?
Bf: It said pets allowed we have a puppy about 4months
Lady: What type of dog?
Bf: English staffy
Lady: Oh no!, sorry but no
Bf: Oh (a lil shocked) um ok, he's a lovely dog very well behaved. super friendly
Lady: Sorry, its just I have a dog too and would hate to come to find it mauled to death
Bf: (Restraining himself) Ok thanks anyway bye

Not even a joke!! Why do staffies have such a bad rep, every knows they are really big sooks!!!

Different strokes for different folks...
My story of the first and only rental me and the missus lived in (before we got married)

Land lady in her 60's: What would you like to know?
Me: We have a dog can we take it with us?
Land lady: what kind of dog is it trained? It's not allowed in the house....
Me: It's trained and yes it's an outside dog we won't have it inside..
Land lady: What sort of dog is it love?
Me (hesitation in my voice) It's a pitbull... pause no reply...
Land lady: Ohh.. That's great love me son has them at least I know the house will be safe while you guys are at work... I'll have to come and see him.

:shock::shock::shock:

Not even a joke!! Why do staffies have such a bad rep, every knows they are really big sooks!!!
My mum and step dad have a rescued english staffy... She is the biggest sook for pats.
She will tolerate puppies under the age of 3 months really well, my dog was just 5 weeks old when he shared the yard with her.
... But get her near another adult dog and she will literally choke herself in her attempts to get at it and attack it.

We had huskies and malamutes, they are big dogs but they always got the "OOOOHHHHH how cute" thing. Now they can and will do damage.:)

I'm not going to try and advocate anything that's illegal or breaches lease agreements, but.. keep in mind that real estate agents (in my experience at least) are incredibly sleazy liars.

so are a lot of tenants, you see them in here advocating someone lie to a landlord and the real estate agent and think its perfectly ok to do so

i'd rather bend the truth and have a roof over my head, than tell the truth and have nowhere to live.. but i guess thats just me ;)

I asked my land agent, when signing my lease, if I could have fish tanks (wasnt planning reptiles at the time, so I wasn't just being broad and deceptive) and things like that (I wrote it down as a question where there was a section asking if I had any enquiries) and she giggled and said "...you don't have to ask permission for things like that love!"

I would suggest to be careful. I've moved about abit and
lately most agreements I've seen no longer state no pets but say no animals. I have been asked before to get rid of them or move out.

hi!! we have been in our rental now for 9 months and just renewed for another 12. Our lease stipulates we can have our dog but no other pets have ever been mentioned. Last inspection we had 3 fish tanks ranging from 2 to 4 feet in length and our agent never said anything. We have since sold up fishies and gotten our reptiles ( 2 babies in click clacks, a baby dragon in a 4 ft tank and our 6ft Darwin Python. I havent told our agent and we are due an inspection in the next 2 weeks. I honestly dont see a problem, however should one arise I will face that when and if it happens. From previous experience I think if u show that u are keeping the home clean, tidy and up to their expectations, then there should be no cause fort hem to object to your reptiles. BUT I could be wrong too. Will let you know how we go with our inspection!!! Hope you can find somewhere suitable for u and ur reptile family!!

my real estate was ok with the snakes , but when the owner and his wife came for a inspection she wasnt happy , she doesnt like snakes and told us to get rid off them , her husband was intrested and asked a few questions about them . A week after the inspection the real estate told us we had to get rid of them and i told them they were in enclosures and not clasifide as a pet and they said yeah we know so you can keep them we will talk to the owner , 2 days later we got a call "you can keep the snakes but the rats and mice must go :( , i still have both but will have to hide the rats and mice next time we have a inspection .

ok i've asked this question to a friend of mine who was a property manager. she said that if the ad says 'no pets' this includes fish because of the risk of the aquarium breaking,water damage to the flooring and to let the landlord know about your reptiles.
good reason why i wanna buy a house and split the morgage with mum. i dont have to worry about that

I have never told any landlords or agents about my snakes and lizards. They find out when they do the inspection and have never made a fuss!

neither my realestate came over one day and was intersted and wanted to pat my beardies.... and the owner does a bit of work here(repairs) and never minded

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back