Reptile wildlife carer experiences

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

montay

Reaction score
Just to share with you our recent experience in our wildlife carer antics - we only take reptiles, of course ! :?
This is an eastern water dragon, a male as you will see from his red chest. Attacked by a dog, he had been left at the vets for a number of days and was very dehydrated when he came to us. As a semi-acquatic lizard, obviously water is essential to these critters.
We gave him fluid resuscitation as 0.9% saline intra dermally, and he soaked in his water bowl for 24 hours.
He responded very quickly, and rehdration was rapid.
He was released back into the Brisbane river system without even a thank you card! (Though I will remember 'Godzilla' for some time with deep scratches up my arms!)

Attachments

• Godzilla.jpg
    Godzilla.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 54
Yeah, it was great to release him, happy and healthy. We don't always have these good outcomes, of course. often by the time they reach us, they are in a pretty bad way. Last week we had a bluey with a spinal injury who days later literally broke in two. We promptly had him euthanased. it was a horrible experience, and my kids are still crying about him.

I'm also a wildlife carer, I had a water dragon for 9 months that had been hit by a car and was virtually comatose. Luckily with alot of care and determination, he was released last month in full health.
It's good to hear of other peoples stories.
You do a good thing being a wildlife carer, give yourself a huge pat on the back, not many people will do it for you, but I would if I could reach.
I'm so sorry to hear about the blue tounge, but all the good outcomes are so worth it.
I'll bet your kids love having the wild reptiles around, I know mine do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back