Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We won a carpet in the last ballot, they told us on the phone that she was about 1.5m
When we got her home and measured her on herp measure, she was actually 2.2m

A little bit of a difference.

Make sure you put up some pics MartinsMum

does anyone know the size of the turtles as when i go tomorrow to pick one up i dont want to have a large container and its only a little thing

guess to be on the safe side take a large size container as thats what ill be taking to pick up my turtle.
thank you for putting on the ballot DECCW.

WOW, congrats.... you are going to need to rearrange something at home at this rate, you have really had a reptile explosion at your place recently haven't you ! !

re: the size of the coastal it could be anywhere from a hatchy to ~10ft :) i'm sure if you ring they will give you an approximate size of the newcomer, but you're right, they should give a guestimate of their size,

Does anyone know if there is something similar in SA ?

My hubby is mega pissed at me for entering the ballot. This will be number five snake & we have the two pygmy beardies as well. I REALLY didn't think that I'd win.

As predicted the DECCW didn't return my phone call to give me an approx size. I have a 30L click clack set up that I guess will have to house whatever size python it is until I can work out what I need in the long term. I would have thought that a quick call to tell me if it's 30cm or 4m would not have been unreasonable - the guy in the office told me that he "can't answer any questions" so not to bother asking. Guess I'll have to wait & see.

Jax - if I bring ANY more reptiles into my house in the forseeable future I think I'm going to be a dead woman! :lol:

:lol: any chance your diamonds are M & F ??? give it a few years and you may not have to 'bring' anymore in, you can do the " :shock: EGGS ! ! where did they come from ! ! " routine,
worse case scenario make sure you get custody of the reptiles, oh, and the kids if they're house trained :lol: :p

Got a call from the DECCW this morning & the python is a metre long & the guy said it is in excellent condition & handles really well. Phew! I had visions of a 14 foot monster who strikes everything that moves! Thankfully we're in Wollongong for the week so the drive to Hurstville for the pick up won't be as long. I'll get some pics tonight!

Nah - he can take the kids - more room for reptiles - hahaa!

I like your thinking :lol:

if your newcomer is anything like mine they grow rapidly in the first 2 years. so start thinking of an adult enclosure . . . seeing as the kids are going with 'Him' one of their rooms would be ideal, -a security screen on the window so you can leave it open for ventilation, put some glass in the door, leave the bed so its got somewhere to hide, ... throw an old sink in there for a water bowl and your done, the ideal outside enclosure, inside ! :p

Well done MartinsMum,
I`ve never entered the ballot because I never win anything, now I realise if you dont enter you cant win!

I`ve struck a comprimise at home, the 2 Diamonds are allowed inside, the rest in the garage and I can do what I want out there!

I like your thinking :lol:

if your newcomer is anything like mine they grow rapidly in the first 2 years. so start thinking of an adult enclosure . . . seeing as the kids are going with 'Him' one of their rooms would be ideal, -a security screen on the window so you can leave it open for ventilation, put some glass in the door, leave the bed so its got somewhere to hide, ... throw an old sink in there for a water bowl and your done, the ideal outside enclosure, inside ! :p

Jax, You are giving me ideas lol.......Now if I move Fred and Lisa out to the shed, put a glass door on the bedroom, move into Lisa's room....Hmmm :D

just remember they dont know where these snakes come from, QUARANTINE is most important.

Good point AM pythons, no good risking mites/sickness of your existing collection: my newcomers are segregated for 6 months, and are always handled last, washed hands between snakes as always.

Is there anyone else on here that has been lucky with the Ballot, for all the people in that would have entered into it we have 2 here on this site. i'd like to hear from others if they had a good or bad outcome with any of the reptiles they received as a result.

@MartinsMum, save the hassle, just kick Fred out of the shed and install an airconditioner, problem sorted, unless you consider Fred in the house a problem, (i understand if you answer yes its a problem to that statement LOL)

just remember they dont know where these snakes come from, QUARANTINE is most important.
Yep - definately. We already have quarantine in place for our 18mth diamond coz it was from a private seller, so we have the whole hand sanitiser thing happening at our place already.

We just got back from picking him up - he is a gorgeous thing - really placid & curious & closer to 1.8 metres than the 1 metre that they said. A bit bigger than our hatchies that's for sure!

He seems in really good condition - will try to feed him tonight & see if he takes an adult mouse as they have no idea when he's eaten last. Wish me luck!

i got my woma from the Coffs Harbour ballot......bloody great snake,so placid,so good with handling by the kids..esp my 9yr old daughter

We just got back from picking him up - he is a gorgeous thing - really placid & curious & closer to 1.8 metres than the 1 metre that they said. A bit bigger than our hatchies that's for sure!

He seems in really good condition - will try to feed him tonight & see if he takes an adult mouse as they have no idea when he's eaten last. Wish me luck!

good to hear he has arrived safely, 1.8M will take a small /med (250g/300g) comfortably, so don't leave him on adult mice too long, he'll get hungry and cranky.... my 2m girl takes 300g every 10 days or so,

glad to hear other members have been so successful in the ballot draws, now i'm really upset they don't hold them in SA

Hi got my turtle from the ballot want to say thanks for putting on the ballot.

I Got one of the other turtles too. :) hes great! Going to get him checked out at the vets though as it seems his eyelid is scared as it is bigger and more lighter than the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back